the entire directory
only in Ancient/Rome
By Time Period
Open Directory - Society: History: By Time Period: Ancient: Rome
Towns and Cities
Arts: Classical Studies
Games: Board Games: Historical: Roman
Games: Video Games: Roleplaying: Massive Multiplayer Online: Roma Victor
Kids and Teens: School Time: Social Studies: History: By Time Period: Ancient History: Rome
Regional: Europe: Italy: Society and Culture: History
Society: History: By Time Period: Ancient: Etruscans
Society: History: Historians: Gibbon, Edward: History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
This category in other languages:
About.com: Ancient Rome
- Netlinks on the history of ancient Rome, its empire, and its fall.
The Ancient Roman World
- A collection of images, 3D models and articles by James McKeown and others, with links to other Roman historical sites.
- Directory of sites with art, biographies, daily life, maps, pictures, and related research.
- A wealth of information about many aspects of ancient Rome, including history, culture, government and art.
Anno Urbis - The Roman Empire Online
- A comprehensive archive of texts and reference works dealing with the Roman Empire and its culture.
The Barbarian Tribes
- Chronicle of events during the invasions and the downfall of the empire, the complete text from The History of the Christian Church by Henry C. Sheldon, 1895.
- Selective essays by James Grout on the history and culture of ancient Rome, Greece, and Britain.
- Information on Roman mythology and genealogy, Latin language and grammar and aspects of Roman life. Includes a tour of the Forum Romanum.
Growing Up and Growing Old in Ancient Rome: A Life Course Approach
- Highlights the role of age in determining behaviour, and expectations of behaviour, across the life span of an inhabitant by Mary Harlow and Ray Laurence, 2002 by subscription.
The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
- Classic text covering a broad history of the empire.
Human Rights in Ancient Rome
- A comprehensive analysis of human rights and offers enlightening comparisons between the Roman and twentieth century understanding of human rights by Richard A. Bauman, 2000 by subscription.
- Information and graphics of the period of ancient Rome which was the basis of I, Claudius.
Illustrated History of the Roman Empire
- Includes biographies of emperors, timelines, interactive maps, and sections on the society and the military.
Lacus Curtius: Into the Roman World
- Features a Roman Gazetteer, Greek and Latin texts, William Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities, a Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, Pagan and Christian Rome, J. B. Bury's History of the Later Roman Empire, a Latin Inscriptions Site, a Roman atlas, and galleries of photos.
The Later Roman Empire
- Lectures in Medieval History, by Lynn Harry Nelson, Emeritus Professor of Medieval History, The University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas.
- Bibliographym developing edition and commentary on the Notitia Dignitatum.
- Organization dedicated to the study and restoration of the ancient culture.
- This website describes the history of Herculaneum including its destruction and re-discovery. It shows the town's main buildings and those of the surrounding towns of Oplontis, Boscoreale, Stabiae and Pompeii.
Roman Numismatics, Art, History and Archeology
- Presents photographic galleries and historical information about Greek, Roman and Byzantine coins, emperor portraits, sculpture, military equipment and diploma, and stamps on legionary bricks.
Roman Revolution - the End of Republican Rome
- Examines the integral events that lead to the fall of the Republic and Senate of Rome.
- An educational site for children exploring many aspects.
Rome - Republic to Empire
- Information on the life and culture, and historical topics that have been covered in films.
Rome at its Height
- Part of the Lectures in Medieval History Series, by Lynn Harry Nelson at University of Kansas. Includes a map as well as an analysis of the Roman Empire at its peak.
- Links to many resources on ancient Rome collated by Neil Goldberg: literature, military, archaeology, religion, drama, philosophy and maps.
Spectacles of Death in Ancient Rome
- Provides compelling perspectives on the bloody entertainment of the ancient city by Donald G. Kyle, 1998 by subscription.
Timeline - Ancient Roman
- A chronological index of the history with extensive resource links.
- Provides information about the Roman Empire, its governments, military, culture and economy. Archaeological news and discussions can be found in the online forum.
- A community of teachers and students who create on-line resources for teaching Latin and ancient Roman culture.
Who Was Who in Roman Times
- Index to persons, events, peoples and other subjects in Roman times largely based on sources from that time, and links to images from persons
Usenet humanities.classics -
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: December 5, 2012 at 10:35:05 UTC -