become an editor
the entire directory
only in Ancient/Greece
By Time Period
Open Directory - Society: History: By Time Period: Ancient: Greece
Arts: Classical Studies: Greek
Kids and Teens: School Time: Social Studies: History: By Time Period: Ancient History: Greece
Recreation: Living History: By Topic: Costumes: Period: Ancient World
Regional: Europe: Greece: Society and Culture: History
Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Regional: Europe: Greece
This category in other languages:
The Ancient Greek World
- Topics include land and time, daily life, economics, and religion.
A Detailed Chronology of Greek History
- A quick historical reference for both the novice and student of Greek culture as collected and compiled by Charlie Kyriacou.
A Woman of the Minoan Civilisation
- Images with information about their role, dress, jewelry, everyday events, and life at home.
About.com: Ancient Greece
- Index of resources in topics ranging from the Greek wars to mythology.
- Topics on the history, art and architecture, mythology, wars, geography and culture of the ancient civilization. Features a forum, essays, and photo gallery.
Ancient Greek Religion
- Comprehensive set of resources.
- Topics include archaeology, architecture, art, culture, history, and maps.
- The history with information on women, myths and legends, Olympics, wars, democracy, Sparta, society, coins, and Pythagoras.
- Magazine article asking what do Judge Judy and ancient Athens have in common? Drunkards and lawyers.
Crystallinks: Ancient Greece
- Information and essays on topics including history, culture, government, Hippocrates, and art.
- A confederation of Greek states under the leadership of Athens with its headquarters at Delos, founded in 478 B.C.
Demos - Classical Athenian Democracy
- A digital encyclopedia offering biographies, images, history, and arguments.
Description of Greece, Book I - Attica
- The complete text of book written by Pausanias, fl.c.160 C.E.
Description of Greece, Book II - Corinth
- The complete text of book written by Pausanias, fl.c.160 C.E.
Documents of the Founding of Cyrene
- Excerpt from Herodotus's The History, c. 430 B.C.
Electronic Resources for Classicists - The Second Generation
- Contains projects, databases, images, publications, course materials, fonts, software, organizations, seminars, etexts, and other links.
Europe Before 1000 B.C.E.
- An article on agriculture, Mycenae, Minoans, and the Dark Age.
- Structures that pre-date those of Egypt.
Greek City States
- The history especially since the dark ages with maps.
Greek Image Index
- Listing of museums and collections.
- A biography of the Greek historian and the Father of History.
- An oath traditionally taken by physicians pertaining to the ethical practice of medicine.
History Of Athens
- A detailed account of one of the longest standing cities.
HistoryLink 102: Ancient Greece
- Introduction to the Greek culture; includes careers, daily life, education, and government.
Humanities - Greece
- An introduction to ancient Greek history from Reed College in Portland, Oregon.
- The Minoan Palace briefing with images.
Maecenas - Images of Ancient Greece and Rome
- Galleries of photographs in black and white, and color.
- The story of a legendary king.
MrDonn.org: Daily Life in Ancient Greece
- A look at the daily routines, customs, and lifestyle of the Greeks. Includes clip art, maps, and games.
- An article about the history of the city with pictures and links.
On the Kings of Sparta
- A portion of the book The History of the Persian Wars, c. 430 B.C.E. as written by Herodotus.
Origins of the Greek Alphabet
- Article on the origins and development.
Overview of Late Antiquity
- The land, peoples, ideologies, and other aspects of the ancient Mediterranean through the seventh century AD.
- Access and history of the archaeology site.
Prehistoric Archaeology of the Aegean
- Curricular project with a series of lessons and illustrations.
Reports of the Origins of Athens
- Text as written by Herodotus, Thucydides, Plutarch, and Aristotle, c. 430 B.C.E - 110 C.E.
- Complete text as written by Plutarch in 75 A.C.E. and translated by John Dryden.
- Information on the city-state of Sparta.
- An excerpt as written by Aristotle in The Politics of Aristotle.
The Ancient City of Athens
- A photographic archive of the archaeological and architectural remains, including essays and resources.
The Archaic Age and the Rise of the Polis
- An essay by John Porter, University of Saskatchewan with further readings and notes.
The Asclepion: Medicine in Ancient Greece
- Essays on medicine in Homer, foundations of Hippocratic medicine, Hippocratic Oath, overview of Hippocratic epidemics, Hippocratic treatise on fractures, illness of maidens, temple cures, and midwives in the Roman World.
The Athenian Constitution
- The complete text as written 350 B.C.E. by Aristotle, and translated by Sir Frederic G. Kenyon.
The Battle of Chaeronea
- As written by Diodorus Siculus, a battle in 338 B.C.E. that implied the passing of the Greek system of city-states and the substitution of large military monarchies.
The Bronze Age on the Aegean Islands
- The habitation, society, religion, economy, and art.
The Early History of Sparta
- A brief but detailed history with links.
The Ephors of Sparta
- A listing by names.
The Glory That Was Greece
- Sections on drama, history, mythology, and philosophy with a link directory, bibliography, and index of illustrations.
The Greeks - Crucible of Civilization
- Introduction to the history, culture, politics, art and warfare with a timeline, map, a look at life in Athens, and ancient language lessons.
The History of the Peloponnesian War
- The complete text as written in 431 B.C.E. by Thucydides, and translated by Richard Crawley.
The Kings of Sparta
- A listing of names.
The Law Code of Gortyn
- A code dealing fully with family relations and inheritance, c. 450 B.C.E.
The Real Story of the Ancient Olympic Games
- Explore the history of the games, and find out how the olive leaf wreath become a major symbol.
The Spartan War Machine, c. 375 B.C.E.
- An account as written by Xenophon, c.428-c.354 B.C.E.
Thrace and the Thracians
- Introduction, history, geography, society, art and culture, and warfare.
Thucydides: On The Early History of the Hellenes
- An excerpt from The History of the Peloponnesian War written c. 395 B.C.E.
Trade and Barter in Ancient Greece
- An essay on economics.
Wikipedia: Ancient Greece
- An encyclopedia article on the history and society of the empire.
Works by Plutarch
- List of works with links to the texts.
World History Compass - Ancient Greece
- Links to sites and resources.
Xenophon - Anabasis, or March Up Country
- The story of the march to Persia to aid Cyrus, who enlisted Greek help to try and take the throne from Artaxerxes, and the ensuing return of the Greeks between 401 B.C. and March 399 B.C.
Usenet alt.history.ancient-worlds -
Usenet humanities.classics -
Usenet soc.culture.greek -
Usenet soc.history.ancient -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Saturday, April 20, 2013 3:51:34 AM EDT -