become an editor
the entire directory
only in United_States/West
Open Directory - Society: History: By Region: North America: United States: West
Old West Reenactment
State of Jefferson
Arts: Literature: Genres: Western
Regional: North America: United States: Regions: West
Society: People: Cowboys
New Perspectives on The West
- Companion site to Ken Burns' program about the American West featuring an interactive timeline, maps, and archived primary source materials.
- Collection of articles and research links about the history of America's West from Virtualology.com.
Conservation Chronology 1847-1871
- A time line showing the Nations efforts at conservation in the American West. The people and the places in pictures and biographies.
History Channel: This Day in Old West History
- Daily article about a birthday or major event on that day related to the American West.
History of the American West
- Photos from 1860-1920 from the collection of the Denver Public Library, searchable index by keyword, subject or name.
Imaging and Imagining the Ghost Dance
- Of all the incidents in recent American Indian history, the Ghost Dance of 1890 is probably without equal in evocative power.
Jim Janke's Old West
- List of resources on historical, cultural, social, technological, and other aspects of the Old West.
Lone Hand Western
- Provides information on chuck-wagon lore, western music, cowboy stories, recipes and historical tidbits.
Meeting of Frontiers
- Tells the story of the American exploration and settlement of the West and the meeting of the Russian-American frontier in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest.
Repositories of Primary Sources: Western United States and Canada
- Provides links to primary sources of historical materials relating to the history of the Western United States.
The Depression Years (1929-1940)
- Period photos and description of the impact of the Depression on the West.
The History of the Upper Midwest
- An overview of the history of the upper Midwest including lay of the land, the Indians, the French, the British, the ordinances, the pineries and the mines.
The Northern Great Plains (1880-1920)
- Photographs from Fred Hultstrand and F.A. Pazandak Photograph Collections with 900 photographs of rural and small town life at the turn of the century.
The Old West: America's Frontier
- Provides information on the history of the American West along with photos and links to other Old West related sites.
Union Pacific Rail Road-History
- This is the story of the first transcontinental railroad; the greatest, most daring engineering effort the country had yet seen.The idea was to span the west with iron rails from Omaha to Sacramento.
- A topically-organized collection of resources of use to those studying Western American history.
Western History Association
- Information about this association which exists to promote the study of the North American West in all its varied aspects and in its broadest sense.
- A collection of United States history research links.
- Provides information on cowboys, gunfighters, and the history of Swedish emigration to North America.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Monday, November 2, 2009 12:43:02 PM EST -