become an editor
the entire directory
only in Civil_War/Prisons
Open Directory - Society: History: By Region: North America: United States: Wars: Civil War: Prisons
Regional: North America: United States: Society and Culture: Genealogy
Society: History: By Topic: Social History: Crime and Punishment
Alton, Illinois Civil War Confederate Prison
- The first prisoners arrived at the Alton Federal Military Prison on February 9, 1862. During the next three years, over 11,764 Confederate prisoners would pass through its gates.
- One of the darker sides of the Civil War was the fate of those people, men and some women, captured and taken prisoner in the line of duty. This site is dedicated to the memories of all our ancestors whose lives were touched by these dark places.
Camp Morton - Civil War Camp and Union Prison
- The history of the Camp in Indianapolis, Indiana. First used as a recruitment camp then as a prison during the Civil War. Photographs, monuments, and links.
Civil War - Confederate and Union Prisoners of War
- Searchable directory and categorized lists of registered prisoners taken during this conflict.
Elmira Prison Camp OnLine Library
- Deals with the infamous Civil War Prison camp located in Elmira, NY.
Fort Delaware Society
- Now known as Fort Delaware State Park, the fort not only still exists, it is very much as it was when it held over 40,000 Confederate, Federal and civilian political prisoners. Will conduct search for individual prisoners upon request.
Gratiot Street Prison
- Located in St. Louis, Missouri, the main Union prison for the Civil War in the West. Includes transcribed prisoner lists from Gratiot ledgers.
Imagesof the Civil War - Prisoners and Prisons
- Photos taken in both northern and southern prisons in the US Civil War.
The Johnson's Island Autograph Book Of Lt. Samuel Dibble
- Compilation of 221 Confederate officer autographs from Johnson's Island prison.
Point Lookout POW Descendants Organization
- This site is dedicated to those men, women, and children who suffered while imprisoned at Point Lookout Prison Camp for Confederates from 1863 to 1865 in the state of Maryland during the War for Southern Independence.
- Details about the locations that were used as prisons during the Civil War in Richmond, Virginia.
Rock Island, IL Confederate POW's
- Complete listing of Confederate prisoners who died in the Union prison camp at Rock Island, Illinois.
Salisbury Confederate Prison
- History through eyewitness testimony at the court-martial of the commandant, Major John H. Gee.
A Soldier's Story
- An electronic edition of "Prison Life and Other Incidents in the War of 1861-'65," by Miles O. Sherrill of Catawba County, North Carolina.
The Trial of Captain Henry Wirz
- Explicit details of the trial of Captain Henry Wirz, Commandant of one of the most infamous Civil War prison camps - Andersonville.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Friday, August 9, 2013 11:58:51 AM EDT -