become an editor
the entire directory
only in Civil_War/Battles
Society: History: By Region: North America: United States: Wars: Civil War: Image Galleries
Society: History: By Region: North America: United States: Wars: Civil War: Memoirs
Society: History: By Region: North America: United States: Wars: Civil War: Travel Guides
1st Battle of Bull Run Confederate Order of Battle
- The first major battle of the Civil War was fought in Virginia, near the Manassas, Virginia railway junction, after which the battle was called Bull Run.
American Civil War Battles by State
- American Civil War Battles by State with battle maps and descriptions.
- A chronology of the events during Union General Sherman's Atlanta Campaign.
Battle of Bentonville
- Attempt to defeat Gen. William T. Sherman in the Carolinas in the spring of 1865.
Battle of Champion Hill (May 16, 1863)
- Narrative on the battle with order of battle,diaries and accounts, official records, killed and wounded, history, batllefield preservation, and an online tour.
Battle of Chattanooga
- A chronological discussion of the 1863 siege and battles for Chattanooga including the Battle of Chickamauga.
Battle of Elizabeth City
- Covers destruction of Flag Officer William Lynch's "mosquito fleet" by a Union flotilla under Commander Stephen Rowan. Includes summary, battle reports, casualties, ships and their commanders.
Battle of Fort Pulaski
- Extensive article that covers the building, commissioning and capture of Fort Pulaski by Confederate forces and the Battle (April 10-11, 1862) that resulted in Union victory.
The Battle of Laurel Hill
- Covers one of the first land battles and Union General George B. McClellan's rise to fame. Includes history, news and events and a map.
Battle of Resaca
- Devoted to detailed history, preservation and educational use of the lands where the battle took place in May 1864.
Battle of South Mills
- Extensive site covering the 19 April 1862 battle in North Carolina. Includes maps, casualty lists, newspaper accounts, official battle reports, and photos of artifacts.
Battle of Wilson's Creek or Oak Hills
- A free online book about the Battle of Wilson's Creek on August 10, 1861 written with soldier diaries, letters, and articles.
Battles and Battlefields of the Shenandoah Valley
- Complete description of all battles and the battlefields in the Shenandoah Valley. The five campaigns in the Shenandoah Valley are discussed along with more than 50 battles.
Breakthrough at Petersburg - April 2, 1865
- Honors Northern and Southern soldiers of the Sixth Corps breakthrough at Petersburg on April 2, 1865. Links to unit web pages of participants and a "Descendants Association Roll Call" is available.
- General William Sherman's letter explaining his intent to burn Atlanta to the ground, containing his famous quote: "You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it...War is hell."
Civil War Field Trips
- Photos of Civil War sites in Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. Describes a college course focusing on a chronological tour of battlefields.
Civil War Virtual Battlefield Tours
- Panoramic photos of numerous battlefields with explanations of the action.
Crisis at Fort Sumter
- Contains description by date of the events leading up to the firing on Fort Sumter.
Fort Pocahontas - Black history during the Civil War
- A battle where Black Union troops defeated General Fitzhugh Lee. A great moment for black history during the Civil War! Includes history, tours, and photographs.
Ket's Electronic Field Trip To Perryville
- Links to web resources related to the battle of Perryville and other Kentucky civil war sites.
Malcolm's Civil War Battlefield Photos
- Selection of photographs taken at various Eastern theater battlefields
MO Civil War Engagements and Battles
- Missouri's importance has been greatly overlooked by many when it comes to its role in the Civil War. Battles are arranged by year and list the name, date, place and outcome. Good resource for researchers.
The Red River Campaign
- Because of the French threat (Maximilian) in Mexico, Lincoln wanted military operations undertaken early in 1864 to raise the Federal flag over some part of Texas. Although Grant, Sherman and Banks were opposed, a line of operations up the Red River was finally prescribed.
Shenandoah Valley In the Civil War
- Comprehensive site about the entire Civil War in the Shenandoah Valley. Includes personalities, campaigns, preservation efforts, walking and driving tours of battlefields and related sites, history of Valley towns during the war.
The Stand of the 171st Ohio at Cynthiana
- Brief description of this obscure engagement, which led to the defeat of John Hunt Morgan.
Stonewall in the Valley
- "Stonewall" Jackson's brilliant military campaign in the Shenandoah, Va.: battles, people and documents.
Ten Costliest Battles of the Civil War
- Lists of battle summaries, total casualties (killed, wounded, missing and captured), locations and commanders.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: July 22, 2015 at 15:54:03 UTC -