become an editor
the entire directory
only in Presidents/Buchanan,_James
Speeches and Writings
Kids and Teens: People and Society: Biography: Presidents: Buchanan, James
Society: History: By Region: North America: United States: Vice Presidents: Breckinridge, John Cabell
American President: James Buchanan
- Fact file and comprehensive biographical sketch in addition to quotations, links, and resources for teachers. Includes an essay on Harriet Lane, Buchanan's niece, who served as first lady in the White House. From the Miller Center on Public Affairs.
Biographical Directory of the United States Congress - Buchanan, James, (1791 - 1868)
- Short biography along with political party, years of service in Congress and bibliography.
Buchanan's Birthplace State Park
- Provides basic information about this 18.5-acre park nestled in a gap of the Tuscarora Mountain in Franklin County, Pennsylvania. Also includes presidential trivia.
By Telegraph from England: The Queen's Message, The President's Reply
- The first transatlantic telegraph message and reply. Sent August 12, 1858 between Queen Victoria and President Buchanan.
History.com - James Buchanan
- Profile of the 15th President includes video and audio galleries along with his biography, a timeline and transcripts of major speeches.
Internet Archive: Lives of James Buchanan and John C. Breckinridge, Democratic Candidates
- Glowing biographies from the 1856 campaign.
Internet Archive: President James Buchanan, A Biography
- E-text of 1962 biography by Philip Shriver Klein. Extensive bibliography.
- Short biography from the official White House site.
- Provides information about and biography of American President James Buchanan.
James Buchanan Collection
- Biography and description of eighteen letters written by James Buchanan held in the Pennsylvania state archives.
James Buchanan Foundation
- Introduces Wheatland, Buchanan's rural Lancaster County home. Also includes biographical sketches of the President and his niece Harriet Lane, who fulfilled the role of first lady during his administration.
James Buchanan Memorial in Meridian Hill Park in Washington, D.C
- Photos of monument in bronze, marble, and granite, 1929 by Hans Schuler.
James Buchanan Resource Center
- Online materials include three biographies, Buchanan's own memoir, his printed collected writings, and a selection of original letters from the Special Collections of Dickinson College.
James Buchanan's Obituary
- Reproduced from page 5 of The New York Times, June 2, 1868.
James Buchanan, Inauguration, March 4, 1857
- Descriptions from the journal entries of Montgomery Meigs the supervisory engineer of the Capitol in 1857. Includes the first known photograph of a Presidential inauguration, taken by John Woods.
Life of James Buchanan: Fifteenth President of the United States
- E-text of 1883 biography by George Ticknor Curtis. Google Books.
The Ostend Manifesto
- The 1854 proposal, signed by then Minister to England James Buchanan and others, urging President Franklin Pierce to purchase Cuba from Spain.
Protest of the President Against Certain Proceedings of the House of Representatives
- President Buchanan's formal complaint filed March 28, 1860 against the House of Representatives for their investigation for possible impeachment by the committee chaired by John Covode of Pennsylvania.
Short Answers to Reckless Fabrications, Against the Democratic Candidate for President, James Buchanan
- Political tract from 1856. E-text by Google Books.
TomPaine.com: The Other Buchanan Controversy
- Professional discussion regarding sociologist Jim Loewen's book which claims that US President James Buchanan was gay.
- A description of Buchanan's estate in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, with an emphasis on conservation and restoration efforts. New England Antiques Journal, March 2006.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: February 23, 2013 at 7:35:08 UTC -