the entire directory
only in Government/Parliaments_and_Legislatures
Parliaments and Legislatures
Open Directory - Society: Government: Parliaments and Legislatures
Guides and Directories
Society: Politics: Campaigns and Elections
This category in other languages:
- Single-chamber parliament elected for four years under additional-member system.
Armenia - National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia
- Site lists the members of various committees, with more information in Armenian.
Australia - Parliament of Australia
- Consisting of the House of Representatives and the Senate.
- Österreichisches Parlament, consisting of the Nationalrat (National Council) and the Bundesrat (Federal Council).
Bulgaria - National Assembly of the Republic of Bulgaria
- Elected for a four-year term and consisting of 240 members.
Canada - Parliament of Canada
- Composed of the Queen, represented by the Governor General, the appointed Senate, and the elected House of Commons.
Cyprus - House of Representatives
- Composed of 80 members, 56 elected by the Greek community and 24 by the Turkish community.
Czech Republic - Chamber of Deputies
- Site has lists of committees, commissions and delegations, and more in Czech.
Czech Republic - Senate
- Eighty-one member elected body.
Denmark - Folketinget
- Danish parliament of 179 members elected by a variant of an additional member system.
Estonia - Riigikogu
- The Parliament of the Republic of Estonia, elected by proportional representation with a 5% cutoff.
European Union - European Parliament
- Single-chamber body elected by several overlapping systems. Site has content in all EU languages.
Faroe Islands - Føroya Løgting
- Single-chamber elected from seven constituencies, with powers under Denmark's Home Rule Act 1948.
Finland - Suomen Eduskunta
- The Parliament of Finland, a unicameral body of 200 members elected on a proportional basis.
France - National Assembly
- Consists of 577 deputies, each of whom is elected in a constituency either with an absolute majority of votes (more than half the votes) at the first ballot or a relative majority (the largest number of votes) at the second ballot.
Germany - Bundesrat
- The Federal Council is the Chamber of the Länder, the federal states, such that only one member votes on behalf of each state, casting all the state's votes.
Germany - Bundestag
- The Federal Diet, composed of at least 598 Members, of whom 299 are elected in the constituencies and a further 299 via a list-based additional member system with a 5% cutoff.
Greece - Hellenic Parliament
- Includes a history of the constitution.
Hong Kong Legislative Council
- Consisting of 60 Members, with 24 Members elected from geographical constituencies, 30 Members by functional constituencies, and 6 Members by an Election Committee comprising 800 elected representatives of the community.
Hungary - Parliament of the Republic of Hungary
- Also known as the National Assembly (Az ország háza).
Iceland - Alþingi
- The Icelandic parliament dates back to 930AD, now having 63 members from eight constituencies.
India - Parliament of India
- Composed of the Rajya Sabha (Council of States) and the Lok Sabha (House of the People).
India - Rajya Sabha
- The Council of States elected by the states' assemblies.
- Also known as the Houses of the Oireachtas; composed of Dáil Éireann (House of Deputies) and Seanad Éireann (Senate).
Isle of Man - Manx Parliament
- The Tynwald, dating back to the eighth century, and composed of the House of Keys and the Legislative Council.
Italy - Chamber of Deputies
- The Camera dei deputati, with content in English, French and Italian.
Japan - House of Councillors
- The Sangiin, the upper house of the National Diet.
Japan - House of Representatives
- The Shugiin, the Lower house of the National Diet.
Jersey - The States of Jersey
- Originally composed of the three estates, the Jurats (justices), the Connétables (the heads of the parishes) and the Rectors (from the churches).
Latvia - Saeima
- Unicameral parliament of 100 members elected by proportional representation.
Lithuania - Seimas
- Composed of 141 members elected for a four-year term.
Malagasy National Assembly
- Chamber of 138 members. Site mostly in French.
Malta - House of Representatives
- Unicameral elected body.
Micronesia - Congress of the Federated States of Micronesia
- Unicameral national legislature consisting of 14 Senators, one from each of the States of Kosrae, Pohnpei, Chuuk, and Yap for a four-year term, and ten Members for two years.
New Zealand - House of Representatives
- Elected from 62 General and 7 Maori constituencies, with additional members for proportionality.
- The Stortinget of 165 members, of which 157 are from constituencies and 8 are additional members.
Poland - Sejm
- Main chamber of the parliament.
Poland - Senate
- Chamber of the parliament.
- Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da República).
Romania - Chamber of Deputies
- Containing 341 members elected using a proportional list system.
Romania - Senate
- One hundred and forty-three member body elected using a proportional list system. With more content in Romanian.
Singapore - Parliament of the Republic of Singapore
- Elected from multi-member constituencies, with some additional members. Pending bills, publications, member directory, and educational resources available.
Slovenia - Drzavni zbor
- The National Assembly, with more detail in Slovenian.
South Africa - Parliament of South Africa
- Composed of the National Assembly and the National Council of Provinces.
Sweden - Riksdag
- Unicameral body containing 349 members from 29 different constituencies.
Switzerland - Parliament
- Bicameral system consisting of 200-member National Council and 46-member Council of States.
Thailand - House of Representatives
- Composed of 500 members, 400 elected from constituencies and 100 from party lists.
Thailand - Senate
- With lists of committee members and more information in Thai.
United Kingdom Parliament
- Composed of the House of Commons, elected by single-member plurality for a period of not more than five years, and the appointed (and for a few members inherited) House of Lords.
Viet Nam - National Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam
- With details of the constitutional status of the Quoc Hoi.
Parliaments and Legislatures
" search on:
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:33:34 AM EST -