become an editor
the entire directory
only in Chats_and_Forums/Mailing_Lists
Chats and Forums
Open Directory - Society: Genealogy: Chats and Forums: Mailing Lists
19th - Century
- Genealogy in the 19th century.
- Discussion of given names or surnames that have been changed, primarily without leaving any legal record.
- Tips, announcements and general discussion.
- For people who want to discuss old stories and photos that help to place the lives of their ancestors in context.
- Found in family bibles in the possession of subscribers including family surnames, geographic locations of the families, and vital information on family members.
- Discussion of bigamy and illegitimacy including how they affect genealogy research, how to effectively research their occurrences, and how to record them.
- For those most elusive ancestors you can find nothing on.
- For anyone who is interested in towns, communities, and settlements that are no longer found on the maps and seem to have become lost in time.
- The discussion of copyright issues, particularly as they pertain to genealogical matters.
- For anyone who has multiple listings of one or more surnames in their family tree and is having problems linking these listings.
Cyndi's List - Mailing Lists
- Lists specific genealogical or historical discussions via e-mail. Organized by subject.
- For helping people overcome problems with researching their English ancestors and to allow a forum to pass on useful tips and information.
- Discussions of ethics, accuracy, integrity, and excellence in genealogical research.
- Posting the details of upcoming family reunions by surname(s) so that others with an interest in the family line(s) can contact the reunion coordinator.
- For the exchange of folklore of ancestors.
Free Genealogy Information
- General exchange of ideas and information.
- For editors or publishers of genealogical, surname and family newsletters to have a place to discuss and share ideas and tips.
- Discussing and sharing of information regarding schedules, topics and speakers for genealogy events worldwide including conferences, meetings, and conventions.
- The list discusses genealogy, family history, computer applications, and a wide variety of other topics with a goal of assisting anyone who wants community coaching.
- For the exchange of information and suggestions concerning genealogy pitfalls encountered by all genealogy researchers.
- The swapping of good genealogy URLs.
- Family legends and lore.
- For the discussion and sharing of information regarding travel to and within Europe in search of information on ancestors.
- For the discussion and sharing of information regarding travel to and within the United States in search of information on ancestors.
- Genealogy trivia collected from any country.
- For mysterious disappearances or appearances, unsolved murders, questionable incarcerations, and other mysterious or unsolved events in an ancestor's life.
- For anyone writing or publishing or planning on preparing and publishing a biography, family genealogy book or similar work related to genealogy, history or culture.
- Discussions of anything having to do with genealogy.
Genealogy Chat Friends
- Pooling resources and aiding other researchers.
Genealogy Info Research Center
- Dedicated to helping new and advanced researchers.
Genealogy Research Club
- For surname queries and helpful tips on your research.
Genealogy Resources on the Internet
- John Fuller's links to genealogy email lists.
- For beginning and experienced genealogical researchers.
- For anyone who would like to discuss methods and share results of DNA testing as applied to genealogical research.
- Lookups and advice on research.
- Information on publishing genealogical material.
- For novice genealogists to discuss and share information that will help them improve their genealogical research skills.
- For anyone interested in discussing the preservation of documents, pictures, family heirlooms and other treasures left to us by ancestors.
- For the exchange of genealogy and family humor including poems and jokes.
- Everything you want to know about genealogy and family photographs.
- Exchanging research time and swapping records for records with others.
- For the sharing of genealogy research tips, advice and ideas. The list is useful for both beginning genealogists and experts.
- A read-only mailing list for the distribution of the online newsletter, Genealogy Today, which contains informative how-to articles on researching ancestors, tips, new books on the market, coming events and queries.
- General mailing list for research in Germany, as well as German Immigrants to other countries.
- For anyone with a genealogical interest in the thousands of girls and young women who passed through the Houses of the Good Shepherd over the last several hundred years.
- Discussion of historical elections as they pertain to genealogy.
- For those who want to have a bit of fun reminiscing.
- For those attempting to do genealogical research whose grandparents or parents arrived in the USA after 1875.
- For the sharing of information, URLs and ideas for ways of using the Internet for research.
- Free lookups from volunteers.
- For people who are new to genealogy and/or the use of the Internet in genealogical research.
- Reflections and discussion on ancestors.
- To aid moms of all ages, but especially those with young children, in researching their family.
- For the posting of information on genealogy-related web sites in order to save researchers time in locating new web sites and determining the location of significant web resources.
- For announcing new genealogy mailing lists.
- Created to assist those who are quite new to genealogy.
- For the submission of abstracts, extracts and links from United States newspapers published prior to 1931. Newspapers contain much of the information that may not be found elsewhere such as births, marriages, deaths, and court notices.
- Reflect on the old ways and how families used to be.
- The discussion of female ancestors and methods of researching women.
- A group dedicated to Ohio genealogy.
- For anyone who is actively involved in studying a single parish or group of parishes in the United Kingdom as well as those who are about to embark on such a project.
- Tips on how to research family who were in orphanages.
- The coincidences that occur while researching. Are they just coincidences?
- For the posting of genealogical queries about anyone living any place at any time, and the discussion of queries as a tool for genealogical research
- For seniors who are new to genealogy.
- The largest and most diverse mailing list on genealogy.
- One of the oldest and largest email discussion lists for those interested in family history and genealogy. Contains message archives, and links to other resources.
- For the discussion and sharing of information regarding the conduct of genealogy research while traveling in a recreational vehicle
- For research and discussion of Scottish origins.
- For people of all ages who would like help learning to use the Internet and their computer for genealogy purposes in a safe environment, without being made to feel stupid.
- For anyone with a genealogical interest in shipwrecks and persons lost at sea, on inland waterways, on lakes and other bodies of water.
- For genealogy research, queries and assistance in locating information on ancestors who were from areas of the former Austria-Hungary empire and/or the former Czechoslovakia.
- For those whose ancestors arrived from outer space to make connections with others sharing this problem, discuss their ancestry, and provide advice on possible avenues for further research.
- For the discussion and sharing of information regarding vintage photos including, but not restricted to, proper storage, preservation, restoration, aging and dating, restoration software, photo types and materials used, restoration assistance, and scanning options.
- A read-only mailing list for weekly announcements of new Rootsweb user webpages.
- For the discussion and sharing of information regarding the ancestors and descendants of any person mentioned in original records related to witch hunting.
- For those who seek information on their Irish ancestors.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: June 2, 2013 at 1:56:02 UTC -