become an editor
the entire directory
only in Folklore/Organizations
Open Directory - Society: Folklore: Organizations
This category in other languages:
American Folklife Center
- Archives of Folk Culture in the Library of Congress. Information about the Center and its publications, with guides to the collections.
American Folklore Society
- Founded in 1888, the AFS publishes the quarterly Journal of American Folklore and works to further the discipline of folklore studies, to improve the professional well-being of its members, and to increase the respect given to diverse cultures and their traditions.
Australian Folklore Journal
- Studies in the field of Australian folklore as well as theoretical and field studies by scholars from around the world. Edited and published at the University of New England.
Bozeman Folklore Society
- An all- volunteer non-profit organization dedicated to promoting, preserving, enjoying and sharing the music, dance, arts, crafts, and skills of traditional cultures, with a special focus on country and square dancing and fiddle music. Montana.
British Columbia Folklore Society
- Dedicated to the collection and preservation of the traditional and contemporary folk culture, folklife, ad folklore of the people of British Columbia, Canada.
California Folklore Society
- Founded in 1941, the Society supports the study of all aspects of regional, national, and international folklore. Anyone interested in folklore and folklife may join.
- A New York City-based cultural heritage/folklife non-profit organization. Citylore promotes, presents and works to preserve the traditional arts and local and ethnic cultures of the NY City.
Folklore Society of Greater Washington DC
- Furthering the understanding, appreciation, and performance of traditional folk music and folklore, the FSGW sponsors over 200 events in the DC area each year, including festivals, concerts, dances, and swaps; the site also includes a lengthy list of folk music links.
Folklore Society, London, England
- Founded in 1878, the Folklore Society maintains offices at the Warburg Institute and archives in the DMS Watson Science Library at University College London, with reference and lending facilities; publishes low-cost library booklets, academic works, and the peer-reviewed journal Folklore; and holds a number of lectures and social events each year.
The Giants Carriers Association
- The Giants Carriers Association is a federation of the groups supporting the people carrying giants in Catalonia in the public festivals.
Greek American Folklore Society
- Dedicated to the study, preservation, and instruction of the traditions of Hellenic folk culture and folk arts from all regions of Greece and communities of the Greek Diaspora past and present; primary focus on stage re-enactments of traditional Greek costumes, songs and dances, plus lectures, exhibits, and workshops.
Humboldt Folklife Society
- Exists to preserve and promote the folk arts in music, dance, and craft. Events calendar, membership form, and news. Arcata, California.
Hungarian Folklore List Discussion Group
- Perpetuating Hungarian folklore by exchanging thoughts, experiences, and ideas (in Hungarian and English).
International Council of Organizations for Folklore Festivals and Folk Art
- International organization related to UNESCO for the safeguarding, promotion and diffusion of traditional culture and folklore. Profile of the organization, publications, cultural activities, events, festivals, and members. [English/French/Spanish]
Michigan Traditional Arts Program
- A partnership of the Michigan State University Museum and the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs. Providing documentation, preservation, and education regarding folklife and the folk arts.
National Council for the Traditional Arts
- Dedicated to the preservation and documentation of traditional arts in the United States through festivals, tours, concerts, public radio, television programs and films.
New York Folklore Society
- Information about the Society, its publications and programs, forums and conferences, plus links to other folklore and related resources.
North Carolina Folklore Society
- Founded in 1913, the NCFS promotes the appreciation and study of North Carolina's folklife.
Orpheus Hellenic Folklore Society - Illinois
- Specializing in the presentation of traditional Greek Folk Dancing and Costume.
Paint Creek Folklore Society
- Newsletter, membership information, events calendar, and links. Rochester Hills, Michigan.
Palouse Folklore Society
- Volunteer non-profit organization in the Moscow, Idaho / Pullman, Washington area dedicated to preserving and celebrating cultural traditions of folk music, dance and traditional arts and crafts.
Seattle Folklore Society - Washington
- Current schedule of folk music concerts sponsored by the Seattle Folklore Society, Washington State
Spokane Folklore Society - Washington
- Non-profit volunteer organization dedicated to the celebration of Folk Arts, particularly music and dance.
Turkish Folklore Association
- Aims to keep Turkish folklore alive through scientific research, and passing knowledge of the traditions on to the younger generations in music and dance schools.
Vermont Folklife Center
- Preserving the cultural traditions of Vermont. Includes a heritage shop and listings of community events.
Virginia Folklife Program
- The VFP assists cultural organizations, community groups, state agencies, and others in planning projects on Virginia folklife, and in writing grants to obtain funding to support such projects, with a focus on fieldwork and new media presentations of folklore.
Virginia Folklore Society
- Non-profit organization founded in 1913 and dedicated to the discovery, collection, publication, and preservation of folklore and traditional culture in Virginia and to furthering the understanding, appreciation, and performance of traditional arts and crafts of the State.
The Western Folklife Center
- Based in Elko, Nevada, the Western Folklife Center is dedicated to documenting and preserving the arts of culture of the American West. They host the annual Cowboy Poetry Gathering and maintain an extensive archive.
Usenet alt.folklore.info -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 3:35:09 PM EDT -