become an editor
the entire directory
only in The_Americas/Melungeon
Mestees of South Carolina
Ramapo Mountain People
Regional: North America: United States: Louisiana: Society and Culture: Ethnicity: Redbones
Regional: North America: United States: Tennessee: Regions: East Tennessee: Society and Culture
Society: Ethnicity: The Americas: Indigenous: Native Americans: Tribes, Nations and Bands: S: Saponi
American Indian Melungeon
- Book on American Indians and the origin of the Melungeons, by Karlton Douglas.
Black Dutch and Irish, Melungeons, Moravians, Pennsylvania Dutch
- Shirley Hornbeck's genealogy tips on the Black Dutch, how the term has been used, for Melungeons and other groups.
Black Dutch Yahoo Group
- A discussion group for anyone interested in people described as Black Dutch or Black German.
The Black Irish Myth
- A theory as to why people of Irish descent like to lay claim to Spanish blood from the Armada. Links the Black Irish to the Melungeons. By Tom Kunesh.
Documenting the Melungeons One Page at a Time
- A Melungeon group especially interested in the Hancock County people.
First Union: The Melungeons Revisited
- Blue Ridge Country Magazine article on Melungoens, First Union and Brent Kennedy.
Free African Americans of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland, and Delaware
- Family history of most families who were free in this region during the colonial period. Includes extracts from government records.
Gowen Research Foundation
- Information on families with the name Gowen, including variations. This includes the most common Melungeon name, Goins, Goin, Goings, Going, and others. Search the newsletters.
- An article on the largest Melungeon community, in Rhea, Roane and Hamilton counties, Tennessee, and the only incorporated town with a Melungeon majority.
Jack Goins' Melungeon and Appalachian Research
- Dedicated to research on the northeast Tennessee and southwest Virginia Melungeon communities. Includes information on DNA research as well as information about his book.
Melungeon Family Genealogy Forum
- Discussion of genealogical topics about Melungeon families.
The Melungeon Health Education and Support Network
- By Nancy Sparks Morrison. Provides information about the major Mediterranean illnesses that are inherited through the Melungeon connection.
Melungeon Heritage Association
- Established to document and preserve the cultural legacy of mixed-ancestry peoples in the southern Appalachians. Articles, links, and information about periodic Melungeon conventions known as "unions".
The Melungeon Historical Society
- Society dedicated to research on Melungeon history.
Melungeon Mailing List
- Discussion group for genealogy and history. Includes searchable archive of past messages.
Melungeon Mystery Solved?
- 2012 article from Blue Ridge Country magazine.
Melungeon Origin Group
- Discussion group on Melungeon origins and history.
The Melungeon Reemergence in Southern Appalachia
- Jason Adam's paper on the Melungeon struggle for self determination.
Melungeon Resource Page
- Includes a FAQ about the mixed Mediterranean-Indian heritage of Melungeons, genealogy links, and information on the Melungeon mailing list. By Martha Short
- Announcement for a new film about Melungeons.
- Short article about Melungeons, particularly in Virginia.
Melungeons | Google Group
- Discussion group on Melungeon genealogy and history.
The Melungeons: A New Journey Home
- An article in Blue Ridge Country on the Melungeons of Vardy, with photos of the church and school.
The Melungeons: An Untold Story of Ethnic cleansing in America (by Brent Kennedy)
- This is an excerpt or introduction to the most famous and controversial book on the Melungeons.
The Melungeons: My Perspective
- By Brenda Nichols. Histories of her family and some notable Melungeons such as Mahala Mullins.
Muslims in the Americas Before Columbus
- Some evidence for Moorish and Mandingo presence, which some people believe to be part of the ancestry of Melungeons.
Native American Muslims
- An article about early contact between Native Americans and Muslims, which contends many Native Americans adopted Islam. This may tie in with the better known Masonic movement among Native Americans.
Redbone Heritage Foundation
- A group dedicated to investigating the history and origins of the Redbones, also known as the Louisiana Melungeons.
Redbones and Melungeons
- The Redbones or Louisiana Melungeons are a mixed origin group living near the Sabine River on the Texas-Louisiana border. They are connected to both the Melungeons and the mixed race groups of South Carolina.
Under One Sky
- Bill Fields' personal web site including the archives of Under One Sky, newsletter of the Southeastern Kentucky Melungeon Information Exchange. Information on Melungeon Heritage.
Vardy Community Historical Society
- This society is trying to preserve the Vardy Melungeon site on Blackwater Creek in Hancock County, TN. Museum in the old Melungeon school. Mahala Mullins' cabin brought to the site from Newman's ridge.
Walking Toward the Sunset: The Melungeons of Appalachia
- Wayne Winkler's book with much of the text given in the preview.
- The Black Dutch, German Gypsies, or Chicanere, and their relation to the Melungeons, by Linda D. Griggs.
What Is A Melungeon?
- History and description of several groups known as Melungeon.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: June 11, 2014 at 22:57:51 UTC -