become an editor
the entire directory
only in Native_Americans/History
The Code Talkers of World War II
Trail of Tears
Recreation: Living History: By Historical Region: North America: Indigenous People
Regional: North America: United States: Society and Culture: Genealogy: Native Americans
First Nations Histories
- An ongoing web project that aims to provide extensive histories of all major tribes of Native Americans.
American Indian Kids
- Historical look at Native Americans for kids, ages 6-10. Emphasizes Indian family and community life.
American Indian Policy Center
- Provides government leaders, policy makers, and the public with accurate information about the legal and political history of American Indian nations, and the contemporary situation for American Indians.
American Indian Tribe
- Portal site intended to aid web users in research on the historical background of many Native American tribes.
- Dramatic audio presentations quoting historic documents that contrast the values, beliefs, and behaviors of indigenous and immigrant cultures, and reveal the roots of today's controversies.
- Archeology of the Americas Before Columbus. Magazine dedicated to prehistory artifacts and petrogliphs of the American Continent. A public forum for certified experts and nonprofessionals alike.
Black Indians, Black West
- Essays about the historical interactions of African Americans and Native Americans, and their rarely acknowledged contributions to the nation's story.
A Brief History of Oklahoma
- A series of articles dealing with all aspects of the state's history, including the prehistoric native tribes, as well as those who were compelled to migrate and settle the Indian Territory.
Carlisle Indian Industrial School
- Respectfully honors those students and their descendants who lived the experiment, celebrates with those who prospered from it, and grieves with those whose lives were diminished by it.
Charles Lummis: Indian Rights Crusader
- Article about a New Mexico reporter's struggle to protect Indian families from the destructive boarding school policies of the 19th and 20th centuries.
Fort Peck Assiniboine and Sioux History
- Series of articles, with timeline, about the eastern Montana reservation. Includes an annotated roster of Sioux and Cheyenne participants in the Battle of the Little Big Horn.
The Great American Foot Race
- Documentary about Andy Payne, a 20-year-old Cherokee man, who won the longest foot race in history.
H-AmIndian: New Media for Native Studies
- H-Net discussion group dedicated to American Indian history and culture. Features archive, reviews, links to related lists, and subscription information.
History of the Northwest Coast
- Significant events and history of the people of the northwest, from 1774 to present day. Includes journal entries from fur traders, Indian prophets, and ethnographers.
Indian Occupation of Mother Bedford
- History of indigenous peoples of south central Pennsylvania.
Interactive Museum of the American Indian
- LostWorlds.org explores the great Native American civilizations that existed before the arrival of Europeans. Includes videos, 3D computer reconstructions, and virtual tours of archaeological sites, and photo galleries.
Mound and Effigy Building Cultures of North America
- Provides a single point summary of online resources for all those interested in native American cultures, with an emphasis on mounds and archaeological sites.
Native American Conquest
- These articles, written for teens, serve as a guide through North America before its Indian cities were destroyed by foreign diseases.
Native American Indian Genealogy Heritage
- Collection of literary and historical excerpts and observations.
Native American Religion in Early America
- Essay with teaching suggestions from a scholar in American religious history. In "Divining America: Religion and the National Culture" from the National Humanities Center.
- Photographs of Anasazi, Cherokee, and Alaska native sites with historical commentary.
Native Americans and the Land
- Collection of essays, including the effects of removal on American Indian tribes to what is now Oklahoma, and the near extinction of the American bison.
NPS Tribal Preservation Program
- The United States National Park Service assists Indian tribes in preserving their historic properties and cultural traditions with training, grants, and publications. Links to tribal information.
On This Date in North American Indian History
- Presenting historical events, tribal name meanings, photos of historical sites, and Indian moon names.
Paths to Living History
- North American Indian and Indigenous People: A collection of historical documents, essays, and articles on various topics of Native American history.
- Collection of articles on the history and culture of the Connecticut Indians, from 1630 to the close of the Indian Wars.
Rocky Mountain and Plains Indian Fur Trade
- The impact of European explorers, fur traders, and mountain men on native people.
Southwest Web Ring
- Essays related to southwestern Native American history, pre-history, and contemporary issues. Includes photo galleries of ancient southwest ruins.
The Te-Moak Shoshone
- Commemoration of the 1863 signing of the Ruby Valley Treaty of Peace and Friendship between the Western Shoshone Indians and the United States Government. Includes a speech made by Chief Frank Te-Moke Sr (1903-1994) in 1965 and a link to the original treaty.
Town Creek Indian Mound
- Information and historic site resources for the Pee Dee Culture at Town Creek, a regional expression of South Appalachian Mississippian Tradition, A.D. 1200-1400.
Trail Tribes: A History With Tribal Perspective
- Culture and history of tribes encountered by Lewis and Clark including Shoshone, Lakota, Blackfoot and Mandan.
Utah American Indian Digital Archive
- Articles, documents, photos and maps for many Utah tribes, including Shoshone, Goshute and Paiute.
Voices from the Trading Post
- Oral history interviews with over fifty Indian traders of the southwest United States. Contains slide shows, with a focus on Navajo, Hopi, Zuni reservations, culture, and artifacts.
Voices: Tribute to Native American Heritage
- Feature on Native American history from the Madison Voices newspaper.
The Wampum Chronicles
- New research into Mohawk history, based on historical documentation, secondary sources, and Mohawk oral tradition.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: November 9, 2014 at 9:24:09 UTC -