become an editor
the entire directory
only in Theft/Identity_Theft
Prevention Consultants and Trainers
Business: Business Services: Fire and Security: Security
Shopping: Home and Garden: Emergency Supplies: Security
Society: Issues: Fraud
Federal Trade Commission: Identity Theft
- The U.S. government's central website for information about identity theft.
Identity Theft Resource Center
- Features detailed guides for victims, current laws, media resources, and reference library.
14 Tips to Avoid Identity Theft
- Suggestions from Frank Abagnale on reducing one's risk of identity theft.
About.com: Identity Theft
- Articles from several authors about identity theft related topics.
AJB Benefits, LLC
- Information to educate the public on what Identity theft is as well as how they are committed.
California Department of Justice: Identity Theft
- Features state laws, tips for victims, and ID theft registry for the state.
California Office of Privacy Protection
- Consumer information from this California state government agency. Some information also in Spanish.
Call For Action: Identity Theft
- Features warning signs, preventative measures, and victim information and resources.
Federal Bureau of Investigations: Cyber Investigations
- FBI branch organized to dismantle national and transnational organized criminal enterprises engaging in Internet fraud including identity theft.
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston: Identity Theft
- Brochure in html and pdf formats.
Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
- Includes a video, forms, and resources for victims of the crime.
Fraud Alert - TransUnion
- If you are concerned about becoming a victim of fraud or identity theft, or suspect that you might be, a Fraud Alert can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name.
General Knowledge about Identity Theft Prevention
- Do you want to avoid identity theft? Prepare yourself by learning about identity theft. Knowledge lets you fight agaist identity theft.
Identity Theft and Identity Fraud
- Features programs, prevention, and remedial steps after the crime. From the United States Department of Justice.
Identity Theft Answers
- This site provides valuable information on identity theft including key facts, types of id theft being done today, ways to prevent from becoming a victim, and the different ways you can protect your identity.
Identity Theft Is A Crime
- Offered by the United States government, the site details the work of the President's ID Theft Task Force, victims' rights, and identifies what steps government agencies are taking to combat identity theft issues.
Identity Theft Security
- Empowering consumers with tips, resources, and tools to prevent becoming victims of identity theft.
Identity Theft Victims tips and advice
- Victim Lana Gautier on identity theft, its harm and how to protect yourself
Internet Crime Complaint Center IC3
- A partnership between the FBI, the National White Collar Crime Center and the Bureau of Justice Assistance which acts to receive and investigate complaints of cyber crime and identity theft.
National Conference of State Legislatures: Identity Theft
- Features current statutes, pending legislation, and publications.
NPR : ID Thieves Target Children, Infants
- Even the youngest among us can be victims of identity theft. Seattle Times reporter Jolayne Houtz explains how, and why. John Brooke, a Seattle-area man, describes how his newborn became a target. [2:44 streaming audio broadcast]
RCMP Frauds and Scams: Identity Theft
- Tips from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
- Supplies a range of sleeves, wallets, and ID card shields that are designed specifically to offer protection against unauthorised access to ‘contactless technology’.
Social Security Administration: Identity Theft
- Publication with tips and contact.
Stop ID Frauds & Identity Theft
- UK specific tips and resources on how to prevent identity theft online, at home and when traveling.
Texas Attorney General: Identity Theft
- Prevention tips and victim information.
U.S. Postal Inspection Services: Identity Theft
- Features tips and brochures for prevention and for victims of the crime.
Utah: IRIS Identity Theft Information System
- Office of the Utah State Attorney General provides information about identity theft and a reporting system for residents of Utah.
Utica College Center for Identity Management and Information Protection
- A research collaborative dedicated to furthering a national research agenda on identity management, information sharing, identity theft and data protection.
NPR : Congress Aims to Combat Identity Theft
- In the wake of recent scandals involving data collection companies like ChoicePoint and LexisNexis, Congress has begun pushing for greater personal identity safeguards. [3:12 streaming audio broadcast] (March 14, 2005)
NPR : Fighting Identity Theft
- Beth Givens, director of the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, discusses the recent spate of security breaches at consumer data banks. Computer hackers accessed consumer data at ChoicePoint and Lexis-Nexis. [4:20 streaming audio broadcast] (March 14, 2005)
NPR : Identity Theft in the International Arena
- NPR's Eric Weiner reports on European efforts to prevent the theft of sensitive personal data compiled by information collection companies. [4:33 streaming audio broadcast] (March 14, 2005)
NPR : Safeguarding the Data Brokerage Industry, Part I
- The data brokerage industry has come under intense scrutiny with the disclosure of two high-profile identity theft cases. NPR's Farai Chideya has a special report. [11:46 streaming audio broadcast] (March 14, 2005)
NPR : Safeguarding the Data Brokerage Industry, Part II
- For a closer look at data brokers and what can be done to safeguard the industry from future fraud, NPR's Ed Gordon is joined by Robert O'Harrow Junior, a staff writer at The Washington Post and author of "No Place to Hide: Behind the Scenes of Our Emerging Surveillance Society," and Florida Sen. Bill Nelson (D), who has championed legislation that would give the Federal Trade Commission more oversight over the data brokerage industry. [7:55 streaming audio broadcast] (March 14, 2005)
NPR : Information Companies and Identity Theft
- Recent data theft from information companies prompted hearings on Capitol Hill. Gail Hillebrand of Consumers Union tells Jacki Lyden what sort of personal data information companies such as Choicepoint and Lexis/Nexis collect -- and how they use it. [3:15 streaming audio broadcast] (March 12, 2005)
NPR : Senate Mulls Measures to Combat Identity Theft
- The Senate Banking Committee considers possible regulations to battle the growing problem of identity theft. The most recent Federal Trade Commission survey found that 10 million Americans were the victims of some type of identity theft in one year. [3:40 streaming audio broadcast] (March 11, 2005)
NPR : Experts Urge Consumers to Act Against Identity Theft
- Georgia-based ChoicePoint Inc. is sending out letters to warn consumers their personal information has been stolen. But law enforcement officials say many more people need to be on guard for possible identity theft, after crooks got unauthorized access to information in ChoicePoint's databases. [3:37 streaming audio broadcast] (February 24, 2005)
NPR : Protecting Yourself Against Identity Theft
- NPR's Madeleine Brand speaks with Gail Hillebrand about identity theft protection. Hillebrand is senior attorney for the Consumers Union, an independent, nonprofit testing and information organization. [3:52 streaming audio broadcast] (February 22, 2005)
NPR Talk of the Nation: How to Avoid Identity Theft
- How to protect your identity. [37:28 streaming audio broadcast] (February 21, 2005)
NPR : ChoicePoint Security Breach
- The consumer data company ChoicePoint says a security breach last week will affect more than 140,000 people in all 50 states. The company is sending notices to individuals whose personal and financial details were accessed by thieves posing as businessmen. [2:40 streaming audio broadcast] (February 21, 2005)
NPR : Tips on Avoiding Identity Theft
- Michele Norris talks with Evan Hendricks, editor and publisher of Privacy Times and author of "Credit Scores and Credit Reports," about why people should be concerned about identity theft and what they can do to avoid it. [5:15 streaming audio broadcast] (February 16, 2005)
NPR : Tips to Avoid Internet Identity Theft, E-Mail Scams
- Criminals around the world are discovering tools that let them spy on hundreds of thousands of people over the Internet, and they're stealing credit card numbers, bank account passwords, and other sensitive information. NPR's Chris Arnold reports. [5:20 streaming audio broadcast] (August 11, 2004)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: July 8, 2015 at 7:05:05 UTC -