become an editor
the entire directory
only in Space/Colonization
Chats and Forums
Magazines and E-zines
Essays and Manifestos
Living Universe Foundation
Projects and Companies
Arts: Literature: Genres: Science Fiction
Health: Medicine: Medical Specialties: Aerospace Medicine
Science: Astronomy: Extraterrestrial Life
Society: Future: Catastrophes: Large Near Earth Object Impacts
Society: Future: Predictions
- Rapid development of space using material from asteroids near Earth and from the Moon.
'Second Earth' Found, 20 Light Years Away
- Article from the Guardian on the discovery of an earth-like planet following a three year search for habitable planets by the European Southern Observatory at La Silla in Chile.
Aceize - Space Colonization Research
- Articles on technologies and science for human space colonization.
AIAA - Space Colonization Technical Committee
- Committee of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics formed in 2002, to promote the identification and development of advanced concepts, science, and technology that will support, enhance and enable permanent human presence in space.
The Apollo Society
- Organization dedicated to advance space exploration and the establishment of human communities beyond Earth.
- Articles on rotating structures by Ted Hall, with links to dissertation, conference papers, and software.
- Study of sociological aspects of space exploration and settlement.
Bioastronautics Roadmap at NASA
- NASA analysis of critical research and development issues, particularly relating to medical needs, for human exploration and settlement of space; focus on space station, Moon, and Mars mission concepts.
- Organisation aiming to promote the idea of space colonization as a long-term solution to the big problems facing humanity. Provides information on astronomy, space exploration and colonization as well as science-fiction.
- Detailed design study for a 10,000 person space settlement in Earth orbit, using current technology. 2000 Grand Prize Winner in Space Settlement Design Contest.
Foundation Future 25
- Emerging platform for long-term thinking, acting and growth. Supporting space colonization and the development of life and humanity on earth earth, the planets and in the universe.
- Ideas for colonizing the moon, Mars, the asteroid belt and the galaxy.
Gliese 581 c
- Wikipedia entry for newly-discovered, extra-solar, "habitable" planet, 20 light-years away.
Inter PlaNetary Internet
- Internet Society special interest group focused on deep space, long time-lag communications.
- News of breakthroughs in propulsion physics and the search for extra-solar planets that will enable missions beyond the solar system.
Island One Society
- Propulsion systems, business ideas, archives of space meetings and journals, and political advocacy for the space frontier.
Laying the Foundation for Space Solar Power: (2001)
- National Research Council study of NASA's late 1990's space solar power efforts.
- Links to news items about the moon.
NASA Ames - Space Settlement Contests
- Annual design contest for school-age kids, grades 6-12. Links to winning designs.
National Space Society Roadmap for the Settlement of Space
- List of Milestones and Barriers to Space Settlement
Notable Nearby Stars
- Information about nearby star systems out to 65 light years.
Office of Space Commercialization
- US Government office - studies on market for space tourism, satellite industry, and other aspects of space development.
Oregon L5 Society
- Oregon chapter of the National Space Society; many studies and reports on in-situ resource utilization and related aspects of space development.
Pioneer Organisms Nominated for Terraforming
- Introducing life forms into a barren environment is called ecopoiesis. This article suggests several microbes suitable for pioneering introduction to Mars and Venus.
Self Contained Off-world Residential Environment
- Full design from the grand prize winner in the 1997 NASA-Ames Space Settlement Design Contest.
- Full text of the 1977 CoEvolution book _Space Colonies_, which is now out of print.
Space Colony Artwork 1970s
- A collection of images from early NASA work on large-scale space habitats.
- Information from Wikipedia on this proposed structure designed to transport material from Earth's surface into space.
Space Elevator Reference
- Scientific, engineering, economic and policy challenges inherent in constructing the solar systems first space elevator.
The Space Frontier Foundation
- Organization composed of space activists, scientists and individuals from all backgrounds and nations. It aims to open the space frontier to human settlement as rapidly as possible. Includes a blog and details of conferences.
- NASA research office offering introduction to the subject with studies, on-line books, links and a student contest.
- Discusses the space settlement proposals of Gerard K. O'Neill, as popularized in his book "The High Frontier". Features pictures and a FAQ.
Space Settlement - Colonizing the Cosmos
- Al Globus' studies, reviews, and links on the subject of O'Neill-style space settlements.
Space Settlement - National Space Society
- Collection of essays, articles, studies, and other reference materials on all aspects of colonizing and settling space.
Space Settlement Initiative
- A proposal to grant ownership of land on the moon and Mars to companies that establish settlements and agree to sell passage to anyone willing to pay a fair price.
The Space Settlement Institute
- A non-profit association founded to help promote space colonization; emphasis on property rights law.
The Space Settlers' Society
- contacts and articles on European space advocacy, ramjets, and space tourism.
Space Solar Power Monitor
- News, discussion, links to latest information on SSP.
Space Solar Power Workshop
- Discussion of the energy path for space development.
Space Studies Institute
- The organization founded by Gerard O'Neill, with detailed information about his space settlement proposals.
- AIAA subcommittee on aerospace architecture in space and on Earth.
- Intended to be a repository of information and a baseline for research on the space elevator.
Usenet sci.space.policy -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: July 31, 2013 at 11:58:50 UTC -