become an editor
the entire directory
only in History/United_Kingdom
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Society and Culture: History: Working Class: Miners' Strike, 1984-5
- An account of the disaster of 21 October 1966; also includes an overview of the government and public response, and links to other sources.
Alderley Edge Mines
- Information about the mines, their history and their current state. Located in Alderley, Cheshire.
BBC Archive: Coal Mining in Britain
- The story of British coal mining told through BBC radio and TV broadcasts from the last 70 years, with a gallery of images from the 1930s.
British Mining Database
- Portal includes links to general information, local sites, societies, working mines and museums.
Carn Brea Mining Society
- Activities include building restoration, old mine site clearance and preservation of old milling equipment. Includes membership details, field visits, and event schedule.
Coal Mining History Resource Centre
- History of coal mining. Features a database of mining deaths, accounts of mining disasters, historical texts, and the 1842 Royal Commission Reports on children in the mines.
Coal Mining in North Staffordshire
- Online exhibition provides an overview of the coal industry in the North Staffordshire coal fields from the 13th century until the closure of the last pit in 1998; includes articles, photos and audio-visual resources. [Keele University]
Coal Mining in Scotland 1840-1920
- Educational site including teaching materials.
Cornish Mines and Mining History
- Brief history of copper, tin, china clay, and slate mining in the county.
Cornish Mining World Heritage Site Bid
- Information on the bid supported by extensive resources covering history, technology, communities, sites, geology and wildlife.
Cornwall Mining Heritage
- Brief account with photographs on tin mining in the county.
Cumbria Amenity Trust Mining History Society - CATMHS
- Industrial history group with an interest in exploring, researching and recording mining activities in Cumbria. Includes membership, projects, meetings, and photo gallery.
Dartmoor Tinworking Research Group - DTRG
- Studies and explores the tinworking and tin mining heritage of Dartmoor. Includes events diary, membership, projects and newsletter.
Fife Mining Heritage Society
- Registered charity whose aims are to record the mining history in Fife. Includes forum and online video clips.
Hatfield Colliery - Past, Present and Future
- An illustrated history of a South Yorkshire colliery, from 1911 until it closed in 2004; includes news of possible refurbishment and reopening.
History of Coal Mining
- Information from Wikipedia on the extraction of coal around the world since the industrial revolution.
The Hoods - a History of a Scottish Coalmining Family
- Includes a genealogy of the family from 1715 to the 1870's, and information about coalmining in Midlothian, the collieries, methods and records.
In Memory of Philip Healey, Ilkeston Mines Rescue
- A collection of resources and memoirs related to mining and mine rescue nationwide, begun as a tribute to Philip Healey.
Killhope: Pennine Lead Mining
- Illustrated article about the lead mining industry, the restoration of Killhope and the mining families.
The Mines of the Bristol and Somerset Coalfield
- Information about collieries in northern Somerset, southern Gloucestershire, and the coalfield as a whole. Includes a history and statistics.
Mining History Information Pages
- Details of Peter Claughton's research in British mining history, mainly focused on the South West and Wales; a substantial collection of articles.
Mining History Network
- Group of mining historians. Provides information on the annual International Mining History Congress, a discussion forum and internet resources.
National Mining Memorabilia Association
- Interests are biased towards coal mining history and related memorabilia. Includes lamps and badges, member's articles, publications, meetings and news.
Northern Mine Research Society
- Encourage the study of mining history in all its aspects. Offers a range of services to members. Includes publications, meetings, society records and online resources.
Peak District Mines Historical Society (PDMHS)
- Exists to preserve industrial heritage sites related to mining for lead, fluorspar, barytes and other minerals in the Peak District. Information about their projects, resources, museum, publications and a list of British mines in 1896.
- A former tin mine, now owned by the Rosevale Historical Mining Society, who have undertaken the restoration of the underground workings; situated at Zennor, near St Ives in West Cornwall. Features history, layout of underground workings, restoration details, and photographs.
The Russell Society
- A society of amateur and professional mineralogists which encourages the study, recording and conservation of mineralogical sites and material. Includes membership information, meetings programme, mineral gallery, and news.
Shropshire Mines Trust
- A charitable trust set up to preserve and interpret the remains of the Shropshire mining industry, including Tankerville Lead Mine, Snailbeach Lead Mine and Bersham Colliery. Brief information about each mine, and artefacts owned by the Trust.
South Gloucestershire Mines Research Group
- The history of mines and quarries in the area, with news, events, links and membership information
South Wales Coalfield Collection (SWCC)
- Established in 1969 to preserve the documentary records of the mining community of South Wales; information about their holdings, with background on the industry.
United Kingdom Mining History
- Gateway for sources on mining history and mineral heritage. Includes collection level descriptions of archives and museums, educational background articles and related links.
The Wartime Memories Project: Bevin Boys
- An account of the men conscripted to work in the mines, rather than in the armed services, during the Second World War.
Wealden Cave & Mine Society
- Interest in the mine and underground quarry workings of the South East, in particular the firestone quarries of East Surrey. Activities include study of their history, geology, archaeology, and natural history.
Welsh Coal Mines
- Photographs, history, and poems about the collieries of Gwent.
Welsh Mines Society
- Objectives include the research and preservation of Welsh mining history. Includes news and events.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 9, 2014 at 10:45:04 UTC -