become an editor
the entire directory
only in Safety_and_Accidents/Chernobyl_Accident
Safety and Accidents
Regional: Europe: Ukraine: Provinces: Kyiv Oblast: Chornobyl
Society: History: By Time Period: Twentieth Century: Disasters
Society: Issues: Environment: Nuclear: Activism
Society: Issues: Science and Technology: Nuclear
This category in other languages:
- Information from the World Nuclear Association on the accident progression, the immediate and long term environmental and health effects, and on the insights. Includes contact information.
Chernobyl Nuclear Disaster Revisited
- Reflections on the accident and its impacts, focused on an encounter with an 11 years old survivor who puts a real face on the disaster in history. Includes links to related sites.
Chernobyl: A Nuclear Disaster
- Summary of the accident. Discusses effects of radiation on health, agriculture, economy and politics of the region.
Chornobyl Nuclear Accident and its Ramifications
- Collection of papers, studies and publications about the accident. Provides general and detailed accident information, reactor design analyses, maps, photos and bibliography.
- Photographs from the Chernobyl area and from the city of Pripjat taken on a visit to the site.
Facts About Chernobyl Disaster
- Collection of links and original documents, maps, images and data relating to the accident.
FAO Committee on Agriculture
- Report of the Farming and Agricultural Organization on the effects of the Chernobyl accident on regional agriculture.
Ghost Town: Chernobyl Images
- Collection of photos of the Chernobyl area including walkdown comments, accident information and radioactivity data measurements.
One Decade after Chernobyl
- International conference sponsored by International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) summing up the consequences of the accident. Includes conference program, abstracts, press releases and contact information.
Texas Tech University Chernobyl Page
- Conclusions of the Chernobyl Research Projects at Texas Tech University, including photos, publications on the effects of radiation on the animals surrounding Chornobyl, and contact information. [English, Ukrainian, Russian]
Twenty Years After Chernobyl - MaisonBisson.com
- Summary of writings about the accident, with links to related content.
Ukrainian Ministry of Emergencies
- Administrative authority in the field of civil defense, population and territories protection, prevention and response to emergencies, in particular liquidation of the Chernobyl accident consequences. [Ukrainian, Russian, English]
United Nations and Chernobyl
- Programs and activities of United Nations to improve the conditions of the region. Includes program description, news and press releases. [French, Russian, Spanish]
Washingtonpost.com - Ukrainians Mark 20th Chernobyl Anniversary
- The 1986 Chernobyl explosion continues to scar this ex-Soviet republic 20 years later. (April 25, 2006)
Chornobyl: Remembrance for the future
- Describes a conference which took place April 23-25, 2006 in Kiev for the 20th anniversary of the disaster. (April 23, 2006)
NPR : At Chernobyl, Building a Shelter for a Shelter
- The Chernobyl nuclear facility still contains some 200 tons of radioactive fuel, covered by a structure which is increasingly unstable. Engineers plan to build and then slide an enormous Quonset hut-shaped cover over the breached reactor at an estimated cost of 1 billion dollars. [3:43 streaming audio broadcast] (April 21, 2006)
NPR : 'Voices of Chernobyl': Survivors' Stories
- The memories of those who survived Chernobyl were collected in the book "Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of the Nuclear Disaster" by Svetlana Alexievich. Here are some of their stories as read by actors. [8:39 streaming audio broadcast] (April 01, 2006)
Chernobyl: A disaster waiting to happen
- CNN article on the risk related to the concrete sarcophagus of the reactor. (July 25, 1998)
Chernobyl After Perestroika - Reflections on a Recent Visit
- Analysis from Technology in Society on the ways in which political change and economic deterioration have affected the handling of the consequences of the Chernobyl nuclear accident. (January 01, 1992)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: August 27, 2015 at 15:15:10 UTC -