become an editor
the entire directory
only in Safety_and_Accidents/Chernobyl_Accident
Safety and Accidents
Regional: Europe: Ukraine: Provinces: Kyiv Oblast: Chornobyl
Society: History: By Time Period: Twentieth Century: Disasters
Society: Issues: Environment: Nuclear: Activism
Society: Issues: Science and Technology: Nuclear
This category in other languages:
- Information from the World Nuclear Association on the accident progression, the immediate and long term environmental and health effects, and on the insights. Includes contact information.
Chernobyl Children's Project International
- Medical and humanitarian aid program established to benefit the children suffering from the Chernobyl accident. Includes information on impact of the disaster, donation form and contact information.
Chernobyl Nuclear Disaster Revisited
- Reflections on the accident and its impacts, focused on an encounter with an 11 years old survivor who puts a real face on the disaster in history. Includes links to related sites.
Chernobyl: A Nuclear Disaster
- Summary of the accident. Discusses effects of radiation on health, agriculture, economy and politics of the region.
Chornobyl Nuclear Accident and its Ramifications
- Collection of papers, studies and publications about the accident. Provides general and detailed accident information, reactor design analyses, maps, photos and bibliography.
- Photographs from the Chernobyl area and from the city of Pripjat taken on a visit to the site.
Facts About Chernobyl Disaster
- Collection of links and original documents, maps, images and data relating to the accident.
FAO Committee on Agriculture
- Report of the Farming and Agricultural Organization on the effects of the Chernobyl accident on regional agriculture.
Ghost Town: Chernobyl Images
- Collection of photos of the Chernobyl area including walkdown comments, accident information and radioactivity data measurements.
One Decade after Chernobyl
- International conference sponsored by International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) summing up the consequences of the accident. Includes conference program, abstracts, press releases and contact information.
Texas Tech University Chernobyl Page
- Conclusions of the Chernobyl Research Projects at Texas Tech University, including photos, publications on the effects of radiation on the animals surrounding Chornobyl, and contact information. [English, Ukrainian, Russian]
Twenty Years After Chernobyl - MaisonBisson.com
- Summary of writings about the accident, with links to related content.
Ukrainian Ministry of Emergencies
- Administrative authority in the field of civil defense, population and territories protection, prevention and response to emergencies, in particular liquidation of the Chernobyl accident consequences. [Ukrainian, Russian, English]
United Nations and Chernobyl
- Programs and activities of United Nations to improve the conditions of the region. Includes program description, news and press releases. [French, Russian, Spanish]
Washingtonpost.com - Ukrainians Mark 20th Chernobyl Anniversary
- The 1986 Chernobyl explosion continues to scar this ex-Soviet republic 20 years later. (April 25, 2006)
Chornobyl: Remembrance for the future
- Describes a conference which took place April 23-25, 2006 in Kiev for the 20th anniversary of the disaster. (April 23, 2006)
NPR : At Chernobyl, Building a Shelter for a Shelter
- The Chernobyl nuclear facility still contains some 200 tons of radioactive fuel, covered by a structure which is increasingly unstable. Engineers plan to build and then slide an enormous Quonset hut-shaped cover over the breached reactor at an estimated cost of 1 billion dollars. [3:43 streaming audio broadcast] (April 21, 2006)
NPR : 'Voices of Chernobyl': Survivors' Stories
- The memories of those who survived Chernobyl were collected in the book "Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of the Nuclear Disaster" by Svetlana Alexievich. Here are some of their stories as read by actors. [8:39 streaming audio broadcast] (April 01, 2006)
Chernobyl: A disaster waiting to happen
- CNN article on the risk related to the concrete sarcophagus of the reactor. (July 25, 1998)
Chernobyl After Perestroika - Reflections on a Recent Visit
- Analysis from Technology in Society on the ways in which political change and economic deterioration have affected the handling of the consequences of the Chernobyl nuclear accident. (January 01, 1992)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: April 16, 2015 at 7:35:10 UTC -