become an editor
the entire directory
only in History/Tunnels
Brunel, Isambard Marc
Recreation: Roads and Highways: Historic
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: England: Merseyside: Liverpool: Society and Culture: History: Williamson Tunnels
The Astoria Tunnel Under the East River for Gas Distribution in New York City
- Text of this article by John Vipond Davies printed in the 1916 volume of the American Society of Civil Engineers Transactions.
Bridge and Tunnel Centres
- Full text of this 1875 book by John B. McMaster.
A General Report Upon the Initiation and Construction of the Tunnel Under the East River, New York
- Facsimile of the 1894 book by Charles M. Jacobs.
The Hoosac Tunnel
- Comprehensive range of commentary, data, history and construction images.
How the Swiss Built the Greatest Tunnel in the World
- Short contemporary commentary by Francis Fox about the construction of the Simplon tunnel through the Alps completed in 1905.
Illustrations of Incidents in Tunnel Construction
- Facsimile of the illustrated 1909 souvenir program to commemorate the fifth anniversary of the joining of New York with New Jersey via the Hudson Tubes.
London Transport History - Tunnelling
- Illustrated commentary on tunnelling methods used in the 19th century.
Report of the Superintendent of the Sutro Tunnel Company
- Full text of this document providing detailed reports from the heads of department for the year ending 1873.
The Severn Railway Tunnel
- Extensive ten chapter history of the construction. Topics include highs and lows, tunnelling methods, and a collapse in the tunnel. Opened in 1886.
St. Clair Tunnel Company
- Opened in 1891, running under the St. Clair River, which joins Lake Huron to Lake St. Clair. Includes short history, photographs, and references.
- Construction history, restoration details and photo gallery of the longest, highest and deepest canal tunnel in Britain. First opened in 1811.
- Facsimile of the letter from the Secretary of War, transmitting the report of the commission to examine and report upon the Sutro Tunnel, in Nevada. January 9, 1872.
- Facsimile of the 1872 report of the commissioners and evidence taken by the committee on mines and mining of the House of representatives.
Sutro Tunnel Company Collection
- A guide to the papers collection held by the University of Nevada.
The Tunnel of Eupalinos
- Extensive illustrated article by Dan Hughes, with appendix by Hans J. Keller. Based on visits to the tunnel in 2000 and 2001.
The Tunnel of Samos
- Illustrated scholarly essay which discusses the theories about the methods of construction of this ancient water tunnel built in the sixth century B.C.. By Tom M. Apostol.
Tunneling Under the Hudson River
- Facsimile of the 1885 illustrated book by S. D. V. Burr.
Tunnelling Against Time
- Illustrated essay on the construction history of the Cascade mountains tunnel completed in 1929.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: November 6, 2014 at 15:24:11 UTC -