become an editor
the entire directory
only in History/Roads
Open Directory - Science: Technology: Civil Engineering: History: Roads
McAdam, John Loudon
Recreation: Roads and Highways: Historic
A1 and The Great North Road
- History, geography and anything of interest about the development of the route between London and Edinburgh.
Ancient and Modern Highways
- Full text of illustrated essay by Charles Livy Whittle, The New England Magazine, February 1898.
Coaching Days and the Road Engineers
- Discusses roads in Britain and the United States during the canal age. Written by J. B. Calvert.
The Convict Trail
- Illustrated history of the convict built road linking Sydney to the Hunter Valley.
Edward de Smedt
- Short biography of the inventor of modern road asphalt in 1870. Also includes a short commentary on the history of roads and asphalt.
First American Macadam Road
- Illustrated essay on this road laid on the Boonsborough Turnpike Road between Hagerstown and Boonsboro, Maryland in 1823.
The Good Roads Movement Part II
- Full text of article written by Charles Freeman Johnson, in Overland Monthly and Out West Magazine, 1896.
The Good Roads Movement, Part I
- Full text of this essay written by Charles Freeman Johnson. From the Overland Monthly and Out West Magazine, 1896.
Highways - Greatest Engineering Achievements of the Twentieth Century
- Detailed historical information, timelines, and personal essays by key innovators on highway construction within the United States.
Historic Highways - Lancashire
- Comprehensive history. Topics include Roman roads, turnpike roads, and motorways. Includes gallery and forum.
Milestones For U.S. Highway Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration
- Illustrated time line of key events covering the period 1892 to 1996.
Namibian Roads in History
- Illustrated history and development of the roads system from the 13th century till today.
The Nicolson Pavement
- Full text of this 1859 publication about a wooden pavement invented by Samuel Nicolson.
- Story of its building and use by John N. Boucher published in 1911.
Public Roads, their Improvement and Maintenanc
- Full text of this book by E.R.Buckley first published in 1907.
Roads, Highways, and Ecosystems
- Multi-page illustrated essay on US roadmaking history.
The Turnpike Roads and Traffic up to 1830
- Article by J M Whiteley which first appeared in Diversion, the Lancashire County Council Surveyor's departmental magazine in July 1984.
Ways and highways. The Statutes of New York
- Complete text of this 1851 publication by William Bishop. Topics include highways, bridges, ferries, plank roads and turnpike roads.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 9:15:08 AM EDT -