become an editor
the entire directory
only in History/Roads
Open Directory - Science: Technology: Civil Engineering: History: Roads
McAdam, John Loudon
Recreation: Roads and Highways: Historic
A History of Roads in the US using Athens as a Case Study
- Paper by Becky Brignac written in 1999, in the History Department, at the University of Georgia, to fulfill the senior writing requirement for completion of the history major.
A1 and The Great North Road
- History, geography and anything of interest about the development of the route between London and Edinburgh.
Ancient and Modern Highways
- Full text of illustrated essay by Charles Livy Whittle, The New England Magazine, February 1898.
Coaching Days and the Road Engineers
- Discusses roads in Britain and the United States during the canal age. Written by J. B. Calvert.
Edward de Smedt
- Short biography of the inventor of modern road asphalt in 1870. Also includes a short commentary on the history of roads and asphalt.
First American Macadam Road
- Illustrated essay on this road laid on the Boonsborough Turnpike Road between Hagerstown and Boonsboro, Maryland in 1823.
Highways - Greatest Engineering Achievements of the Twentieth Century
- Detailed historical information, timelines, and personal essays by key innovators on highway construction within the United States.
Historic Highways - Lancashire
- Comprehensive history. Topics include Roman roads, turnpike roads, and motorways. Includes gallery and forum.
Milestones For U.S. Highway Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration
- Illustrated time line of key events covering the period 1892 to 1996.
Namibian Roads in History
- Illustrated history and development of the roads system from the 13th century till today.
- Story of its building and use by John N. Boucher published in 1911.
Public Roads, their Improvement and Maintenanc
- Full text of this book by E.R.Buckley first published in 1907.
Roads Through History
- Presents an illustrated record of the history of road-making across South Australia. Joint project between Transport SA and the History Trust of South Australia.
Roads, Highways, and Ecosystems
- Multi-page illustrated essay on US roadmaking history.
The Convict Trail
- Illustrated history of the convict built road linking Sydney to the Hunter Valley.
The Good Roads Movement Part II
- Full text of article written by Charles Freeman Johnson, in Overland Monthly and Out West Magazine, 1896.
The Good Roads Movement, Part I
- Full text of this essay written by Charles Freeman Johnson. From the Overland Monthly and Out West Magazine, 1896.
The Nicolson Pavement
- Full text of this 1859 publication about a wooden pavement invented by Samuel Nicolson.
The Turnpike Roads and Traffic up to 1830
- Article by J M Whiteley which first appeared in Diversion, the Lancashire County Council Surveyor's departmental magazine in July 1984.
Ways and highways. The Statutes of New York
- Complete text of this 1851 publication by William Bishop. Topics include highways, bridges, ferries, plank roads and turnpike roads.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Monday, August 9, 2010 5:28:22 AM EDT -