become an editor
the entire directory
only in History/Canals
Open Directory - Science: Technology: Civil Engineering: History: Canals
Barnard, John Gross
de Lesseps, Ferdinand
Goethals, George Washington
Rogers, Richard Birdsall
Stevens, John F
Recreation: Boating: Canals
Regional: North America: United States: Ohio: Travel and Tourism: Canals
The American Canal Society
- Promote the wise use of America's many historic canal resources through research, preservation, restoration, recreation, and parks.
A Brief History of English Canals
- Substantive article by Mike Clarke.
A Brief History of The Delaware Canal
- Illustrated article by the Friends of the Delaware Canal.
D & H Canal Historical Society
- Purpose is to preserve, protect and perpetuate the unique history of the Delaware and Hudson Canal. Features history, museum, walks and events.
The Erie Canal
- History of the canal in general, but focuses to some extent on the western portion of the canal from Palmyra (Lock 29) to Lockport (Locks 34 and 35), and particularly on the area around the City of Rochester. Includes a range of images and photographs.
Foxton Inclined Plane Trust
- Voluntary organisation dedicated to the restoration of the lift and the preservation of its history along with that of the associated waterways. Features news, history and visitor information.
The Great Duke of Bridgewater
- Extensive article with sources and footnotes. Notes the Duke as the father of the canal system in Great Britain.
History of Canals
- Topics include the great canal of Darius I, China's grand canal, flash locks and pound locks, European canals, and the Suez canal.
History of Canals in London
- Provides illustrated articles on the main and minor canals.
History of the Rideau Canal
- The oldest continuously operated canal in North America first opened in 1832.
Michigan Ship Canal
- Speech of Hon. Mark D. Wilber, in the Senate of Michigan, March 26, 1873, advocating the construction of the ship canal.
Middlesex Canal Association
- Includes museum and visitor center information, newsletters, photo gallery, and history.
Notes on Canal History and Engineering
- Describes types and engineering methods and includes sources of information.
Proceedings of the National Ship-Canal Convention, 1863
- Full text of these proceedings which were called to discuss the enlargement of the canals between the valleys of the Mississippi and the Atlantic.
The Story of the Panama Canal
- Compilation film revealing the story of the Panama Canal construction. From the Roosevelt film library.
Wikipedia: Panama Canal
- Illustrated article including layout, locks, history, tolls and related links.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:35:03 AM EDT -