become an editor
the entire directory
only in Aeronautics/History
Antiques and Collectibles
News and Media
Centennial of Flight
World War I
World War II
Science: Technology: Aerospace: Aeronautics: Aerodynamics
Society: History: By Topic: Exploration: Space
Society: History: By Topic: Science: Engineering and Technology
Society: Military: Veterans: Vietnam War: Naval Activities: Aviation
This category in other languages:
The Aero Forum
- A discussion forum for historical aircraft enthusiasts.
- Aviation history reference site with thousands of US aircraft types, some with pictures.
Aerospace Heritage Foundation of Canada
- A group aiming to gather plans, models, drawings, photographs or artifacts relating to Canada's aircraft manufacturing industry up to the 1960s. Directors, projects, merchandise, news, images.
Air Aces Homepage
- Fighter aces from World War I to the present.
Air Racing History
- Information on the development of air racing from 1909 to the present. Contains details of various races, pilots and aircraft.
- Information on the Golden Age Of Aviation, from the end of World War I to the start of World War II. Barnstorming, air racing, flying circuses, and Lindbergh's Atlantic crossing were all part of this exciting period.
- History of early design and development of airborn machines. Find biographical information about and photographs of Bessie Coleman, Amelia Earhart, the Tuskegee Airmen, and Ben Davis. Also has information about the properties of flight and related careers.
American Fighter Aircraft Manufacturers
- Focus on companies that produced WWII fighters: Grumman, North American Aviation, and Republic. A time line showing milestones in their history, with links to related sites.
Army Aviation Heritage Foundation
- Dedicated to presenting the Army Aviation story to the American people through transportable flying presentations and static displays of the actual aircraft and equipment used by the men and women who served in Army Aviation.
Arrow Recovery Canada
- Information about Avro products and their history, and description of work on a replica
Aurora Project Hypersonic Aircraft
- The 'Aurora Project' is the top-secret hypersonic aircraft built for and flown by the United States Air Force.
Australian Military Aircraft Serials
- A listing of Australian military aircraft serial numbers and individual aircraft history.
- From the Wright Brothers to the Space Shuttle you can discover Aviation History's many adventures.
- Tells the story of the Air Force from its beginning through to its creation as a permanent component of Canada's defence forces. A privately run, unofficial website.
Century of Flight
- Covers the century of aviation, from ancient myths to the jet age. Provides pictures and narratives of each era.
Classic Aviation Literature
- Extracts from literature on aviation from the nineteen-thirties and forties.
Early Birds of Aviation, Inc.
- Stories and photographs of the 598 original members of the Early Birds of Aviation, and some 220 "Other Early Flyers." from around the world.
- A picture gallery of aircraft used by the Swedish Airforce.
Flights of Inspiration
- Information on inspiration flights, like the Wright brother's first flight and the first non-stop transatlantic flight by Alcock and Whitten. Includes a Teacher's Notes section.
The Flying Machines
- Covers attempts to fly before the Wrights. Includes images and factual information about thoughts, experiments and attempts to fly before 1903.
Flying Machines: Construction and Operation
- Complete, illustrated text of the work by W.J. Jackman, Thomas H. Russell, and Octave Chanute, published 1912. Subtitled "A Practical Book Which Shows, in Illustrations, Working Plans and Text, How to Build and Navigate the Modern Airship."
- A photo gallery of pre WWII aircraft, annotated with specifications.
Igor I. Sikorsky Historical Archives
- Dedicated to acquiring, preserving and protecting the historical materials that chronicle the aviation careers of Igor Sikorsky, the companies he founded and the accomplishments of its employees.
The Latin American Aviation Historical Society
- An extensive collection of articles primarily but not exclusively with a military focus.
The Lockheed File
- A detailed listing of all Lockheed aircraft in Australia and their histories.
The Miles Aircraft Story
- Stories from Berkshire's aviation heritage told in a series of paintings and commentary by aviation artist and historian Geoff Beckett.
Military Aviation in Sweden
- An annotated photo gallery of Swedish aircraft.
National Geographic Magazine: Wings of Change
- Article by Michael Klesius on the history of powered flight.
Naval Airship Association
- Pictures and information on Naval airships.
Quest for Performance: The Evolution of Modern Aircraft
- An online text tracing the technical development of the airplane from the beginning of World War I to today. Emphasis is placed on aircraft originating in the United States.
Randy Wilson's Aviation History
- Technical and popular articles and stories, operations manuals, and humor from early to middle twentieth century.
- Information of airplanes made by Rearwin from 1928 - 1942.
Soesterberg Air Base Wolfhounds
- Dedicated to the men and women who served at Soesterberg Air Base, Netherlands from 1954-1994
Swedish Aviation Historical Society
- Research and documentation of Swedish aviation history.
Turkish Aircraft Production History
- A history of Turkish aircraft production is told in summarized form.
- Features original documents and images of aircraft from the 1930's.
Warbirds of India
- Website providing history of different retired Indian Air Force (IAF) aircraft on display at different locations and cities in India.
Williams Antique and Classic Aircraft Site
- Indexed and searchable antique aircraft photo archive, historical information and U.S. aviation museum reviews.
- Descriptions of design, materials, construction and identification of early wooden airplane propellers.
- Reference information on the hypersonic research program. Photos and video clips, articles, pilot report and credits.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 11, 2012 at 6:05:05 UTC -