become an editor
the entire directory
only in Psychology_and_Religion/Neurotheology
Psychology and Religion
Open Directory - Science: Social Sciences: Psychology: Psychology and Religion: Neurotheology
Health: Medicine: Medical Specialties: Neurology
Science: Biology: Neurobiology
Science: Science in Society: Science and Religion
Science: Social Sciences: Psychology: Neuropsychology
Science: Social Sciences: Psychology: Psychology and Religion: Religious Experience
Society: Religion and Spirituality: Buddhism: Science and Buddhism
Society: Religion and Spirituality: Meditation
"Neurotheology": A semantic trap set by pseudo-science for the unwary scientist
- Article claiming there is no scientific rationale for the nouveau term "Neurotheology", and that researchers working on topics relating to religion should stick to the conventional Behavioural and Social Neurosciences categories.
A Mystical Union
- Economist article giving overview of recent research in neurotheology.
BBC - Science & Nature - Horizon - God on the Brain
- Is a part of our brains hardwired to generate religious feelings? Program summary for a BBC neurotheology special.
Ecstasy from a Physiological Point of View
- Discussion of relationship between drugs, celibacy, fasting and other physical practices and ecstasy. Presented by Kaj Bjorkqvist at Symposium on Religions Ecstasy held at Åbo, Finland, on the 26th-28th of August 1981.
Evolutionary Neurotheology and the Varieties of Religious Experience
- Article by Bruce McLennan of University of Tennessee, outlining a neuropsychological approach to religious experience based on archetypal psychology. [PDF]
How the Brain Creates God
- Broad-ranging overview by Iona Miller, touching on archetypes, NDEs, drugs, trances, TMS, and shamanism.
Neurological Correlates of Transformational Experiences
- Article building on work of Persinger and d'Aquili, looking at near-death experiences with neuroimaging.
Neurology of Spiritual Experiences
- Articles on spiritual experience and magnetic signal brain stimulation by one of Michael Persinger's students.
Neurotheology on Wikipedia
- A brief but balanced overview of the field.
Numenware, a blog about neurotheology
- Frequently updated weblog about neurotheology. Also covers some general neuroscience, Dogen, language, and Japan topics.
Physiology of meditation
- Article covering meditation and its relationship to the metabolism, autonomic nervous system, endocrine system, and central nervous system.
The "God" Part Of The Brain
- Website for Matthew Alper's book which suggests that "humans are innately hard-wired to perceive a spiritual reality".
Wired for the Ultimate Reality: The Neuropsychology of Religious Experience
- Article by Drs. Andrew Newberg and Eugene D'Aquili on the biological mechanisms underlying religious and spiritual experience, from the PBS "The Question of God" series.
Zen and the Brain
- Summary of "Zen and the Brain", James H. Austin's definitive work tracing the neuroscientific aspects of Zen.
Guardian: Tests of faith
- Article discussing evolutionary, anthropological (Boyer), and neuroscientific (Ramachandran, Newberg) aspects of religion. (February 04, 2005)
Body and Mind
- Materials accompanying a TV special on body and mind, with a brief overview of older theories and notable neurotheology research. (February 01, 2005)
Linking Out-of-Body Experience and Self Processing to Mental Own-Body Imagery at the Temporoparietal Junction
- Paper by Olaf Blanke and team on the neurocognitive bases of out-of-body (OBE) experiences, from Journal of Neuroscience. (January 19, 2005)
Meditation and the Brain
- Report on a conference held by MIT's McGovern Institute for Brain Research, bringing together Buddhists and neuroscientists. (February 01, 2004)
Religiosity is associated with hippocampal but not amygdala volumes in patients with refractory epilepsy -- Wuerfel et al. 75 (4): 640 -- Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry
- Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry article finding that epilepsy patients with high religiosity had smaller right hippocampi. (June 06, 2003)
What Buddhists Know About Science
- Wired article on relationship between Tibetan meditation and the brain. (July 22, 2002)
Are We Hardwired for God?
- The Guardian newspaper's review of Pascal Boyer's book "Religion Explained". (February 07, 2002)
Tracing the Synapses of Our Spirituality
- Washington Post article by Shankar Vedantam on researchers examining the relationship between brain and religion. (June 17, 2001)
Neurotheology & Shamanism
- Dr. Michael Winkelman, Anthropology Professor at Arizona State and author of "Shamanism: The Neural Economy of Consciousness", discusses the neurological basis of shamanism, mankind's oldest spiritual practice. (June 05, 2001)
This Is Your Brain on God
- Wired Magazine interview of Michael Persinger, leading figure in the reductionist school of neurotheology. (November 01, 1999)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 11:57:04 AM EDT -