become an editor
the entire directory
only in Linguistics/Phonetics_and_Phonology
Phonetics and Phonology
International Phonetic Alphabet
Research Groups and Centers
This category in other languages:
Analytic Listening: A New Approach to Ear-Training
- Paper on a method for ear-training and auditory skill assessment of students of phonetics.
The CMU Pronouncing Dictionary
- Machine-readable pronunciation dictionary for North American English that contains over 100,000 words and their transcriptions.
Contrasted Phonology of English and Portuguese Vowels
- English, Portuguese, and Spanish vowels are discussed, and possible errors of Portuguese-speaking students of English are examined.
English Conversational Grunts
- Contains speech samples illustrating the phonetic diversity of non-lexical items in conversation, such as uh-huh, mm-hm, nn-hnn, nyeah, m-kay, together with discussion of their pragmatics.
Four Tones and Downtrend
- Preliminary report on pitch realization in Mambila, a language with four level tones.
How to Pronounce "Ghoti"
- Brief analysis of why "ghoti" may be pronounced as "fish".
Infography about Phonology
- List of mostly print resources on phonology recommended by a professor who specializes in phonological research.
The Kiel Intonation Modell (KIM)
- Paper on "The Kiel Intonation Model (KIM), its Implementation in TTS Synthesis and its Application to the Study of Spontaneous Speech."
Margo's Magical Letter Page
- Site regarding phonosemantics, the meaning of sound.
A Phonetics Chart for British English
- Provides the basic English sounds and the usual phonetic symbols, with examples and downloadable sounds.
Phonetics: The Sounds of English and Spanish
- Animated libraries of the phonetic sounds of Spanish and English.
Phonological Atlas of North America
- Results of a telephone survey of the major urbanized areas of the U.S. and Canada.
The Rhythmic Speech Museum
- Concerns rhythm in speech.
Rutgers Optimality Archive
- Contributed-content index of Optimality Theory information. Searchable or browseable data, submission and update forms, font and utility downloads, links to other collections.
Speech Web Sites
- Variety of links to mainly acoustics-related sites.
The SpeechDat Project
- Database of recordings of speech in various languages.
Spoken Language Corpus
- Summary of work on spoken language at Göteborg University, including discussion of Modified Standard Orthography (MSO). [by Allwood et al, Göteborg University]
Studying Phonetics on the Net
- List of categorized links concerning the study of spoken English.
- Contains information concerning speech synthesis, vocal tract modeling, facial animation, and the McGurk effect.
Teaching English Intonation with a Visual Display of Fundamental Frequency
- Paper on the use of fundamental frequency displays for teaching English intonation. [by Richard Stibbard]
Virtual Language Laboratory
- Online language laboratory providing pronunciation practice and accent correction in a number of languages.
Phonetics and Phonology
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 29, 2015 at 10:05:09 UTC -