become an editor
the entire directory
only in English/American_Dialects
Arts: Literature: World Literature: American
Regional: North America: United States: Society and Culture
American Dialect Society
- The American Dialect Society is a scholarly association dedicated to the study of the English language in North America.
The Dialect Survey
- A survey intended for speakers of North American English detailing different pronunciations and interpretations of various English words plus maps of responses.
Heptune's Guide to Cheesy American English Usage
- Collection of entertaining examples of contemporary American English colloquial usage.
Lexicon of Bawlamarese
- A collection of alternative pronunciations and local jargon from Baltimore, Maryland.
North American Dialect Links
- Includes American, Canadian, Native American and Bermudan.
Organization of Dialect Diversity in North America
- Full text of the paper by William Labov. Sociolinguistic research on linguistic change in urbanized areas of North America, leading to increased dialect diversity.
- A guide to pronunciation, phrases, and local terminology if Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania. Audio quiz and 'translator' available.
Pop vs. Soda Page
- Plots the geographic distribution of the terms "pop", "soda", and "coke" when used to describe sweetened carbonated beverages.
Student Papers on American English
- From the Department of Translation Studies, University of Tampere, Finland. Topics: Differences Between American and British English; 'Black English' (AAVE, or 'Ebonics'); Yiddish and Ethnic-Jewish Influences; Historical and Loan Word Influence; Regional and Social Variation; Slang; General Topics.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 22, 2012 at 15:24:07 UTC -