become an editor
the entire directory
only in Linguistics/Historical_Linguistics
Open Directory - Science: Social Sciences: Linguistics: Historical Linguistics
Old Church Slavonic
Reference: Dictionaries: Etymology
Science: Social Sciences: Linguistics: Comparative Linguistics and Typology
Science: Social Sciences: Linguistics: Sociolinguistics
Ancient Scripts - Historical Linguistics
- Introduction to historical linguistics with language family charts and extensive links list.
Cameron Laird's Personal Index to Anthropologic Resources on the Net
- Two software applications to aid glottochronological and lexostatistical analysis.
Chronology: History of English
- "Chronology of Events in the History of English" summarizing the emergence and evolution of the language spanning 5 millennia.
English from the 7th to the 18th c.
- An attempt at a very brief outline of the history of English by Tuba Ince.
Genetic Distance and Language Affinities
- Between Autochthonous Human Populations.
The Great Vowel Shift Web Site
- An interactive introduction to the Great Vowel Shift, a major sound change in the English language. Includes sound and animation.
- A demonstration of the law.
Introduction to Historical Linguistics
- A brief summary of the subject of comparative linguistics.
Kjell Gustafson's homepage - Historical Linguistics
- An overview of the field of historical linguistics and its sub-disciplines.
- Philological Thracology. A Traco-Dacian Thesaurus, a few articles and links.
The Olin Revelation
- Revelations concerning the English language and the Bible.
A possible homeland of the Indo-European languages
- Since most scholars assume an Indo-European homeland in the steppes north of the Black Sea, a full video study of this option is presented, based on the splits suggested by the Separation Base Method
The Proto-Sumerian Language Invention Process
- Eleven-page paper describing how the early Sumerians invented their language, with a complete lexicon of the first words in their language.
Schousboe: Teaching Historical Linguistics
- For educators- a course curriculum designed for a one-semester course.
Take Our Word for It
- Weekly etymology magazine.
Tracking Linguistic Drift: The Comparative Method
- Lecture notes.
What Has a Hippo in Common With a Feather?
- Historical linguistics and etymology.
Wilton's Word & Phrase Origins
- Etymological site offers a brief history of the English language, discussion boards and a search feature.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 5:24:04 PM EDT -