become an editor
the entire directory
only in Geography/Place_Names
Open Directory - Science: Social Sciences: Geography: Place Names
Science: Social Sciences: Linguistics: Onomastics
This category in other languages:
GNS: GEOnet Names Server
- Global searchable database set up by the National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA), US. Foreign place names as approved by the US Board of Geographic Names, other name variants. Approx. 3.3 million entries
Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- Compiled by the Getty Research Institute, TGN is a structured vocabulary developed primarily for the field of art history, but can be used in any in many other applications. The thesaurus contains nearly 1 million place names representing approximately 900,000 places.
Names of Countries in Seven Languages
- Database of country names in Finnish, Swedish, Saami, English, French, German and Russian.
- A database of place-names from the classical Greek and Roman sources, with comments on their etymology, in English, plus toponymy of the Abruzzese Appennine in Italian.
- United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names. Contains information and resolutions on the issue of place names.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Monday, July 18, 2011 11:51:36 AM EDT -