become an editor
the entire directory
only in Geography/Human_Geography
Demography and Population Studies
Urban and Regional Planning
Kids and Teens: School Time: Social Studies: Cultures
Science: Social Sciences: Anthropology
American Cultural Landscapes
- A research and bibliographic guide to UC Berkeley print and web resources for the study of the cultural geography of the United States.
Association for Border Studies
- Features membership details, board of directors, information on meetings and calls for papers, and contacts.
- Portal features reference materials related to international borders and tripoints. Includes photos, links and news.
Community Development in the 1990s
- A report describing how the National Community Development Initiative (NCDI) has successfully helped underwrite the efforts of community development corporations (CDCs) around the United States. [pdf]
- A catalog of US maps showing the cultural modification of the landscape as settlers established farmsteads and villages, and named their surroundings.
Cultural Landscapes of North America
- Lecture notes providing a discussion of the social landscapes of North America.
Economic and Business Geography
- Outlines several definitions of economic geography and discusses research issues related to the field.
Four Dimensions of the Center-Periphery Conflict in the Polish Electoral Geography
- Tomasz Zarycki argues that Polish electoral geography is based both on political ideology and elements of the spatial distribution of the population
- Blog explaining and illustrating geographic issues relevant to current events. Run by lecturers from Standford University.
The Geography of Transport Systems
- A project developed to promote access to transport geography information. Includes material to support undergraduate courses, including articles, exercises, GIS-T datasets, and PowerPoint presentations.
H-HistGeog: Historical Geography
- H-Net discussion group dedicated to examining the intricate relationship between space and time. Features subject overview, archive and subscription information.
Human Geography Department at Macquarie University
- Features information for current and prospective students, staff profiles, current research, publications, and contact details.
International Boundaries Research Unit
- Home page of the International Boundaries Research Unit, (IBRU) located at the University of Durham. A source of information on boundary and territorial issues around the world.
Lansdowne Geographic Research
- Essays in historical and sports geography by Philip McEachern.
- A web application that generates report files documenting a wide array of U.S. Geographic entities.
The Maritime Cultural Landscape
- An essay describing the concept of traditional maritime zones of transport in terms of human geography.
Modeling Agglomeration and Dispersion in City and Country
- A critical analysis of the literature surrounding the field of economic geography.
National Atlases: Presenting the Nation's Cultural Geography
- Historical overview of statistical atlases and census maps that express the cultural landscape of the United States.
Political Geography Now
- Current maps and news chronicling changes to the world's countries, borders, and capitals, as well as on-the-ground control of conflict zones and disputed territories.
Prisoners of Geography
- An article that explains why landlocked nations may never enjoy access to the markets and new technologies they need to flourish in the global economy.
Program for the Human Environment
- A research center at Rockefeller University that explores how long-run technical change relates to productivity and efficiency of energy, materials, land, and other resources, and the consequences for human populations.
- A research project working to extend and refine the Clarke Urban Growth Model for making predictions at regional, continental and eventually global scales.
- A laboratory for the study of geographic information technologies as they relate to transportation. Features project overview, links to related resources, job opportunities, and contact details.
- Essays by Luis Suarez-Villa, of the University of California, Irvine. Features sections devoted to the role of innovative capacity, tangible and intangible infrastructure, and a description of inversion at the metropolitan level
Residential Energy Consumption Survey
- A report on geographic information about U.S. households and their energy usage from 1978 to 1997.
Revising North American Time Zones
- Argues for the number of time zones in North America to be reduced in order to increase economic productivity and competitiveness. Extensively discusses potential benefits, citing comparisons to other countries.
SDSS for Location Planning, or The Seat of the Pants is Out
- A paper by Larry Daniel that reviews the general characteristics of a spatial decision support system (SDSS) applied to site analysis.
The Society for Human Ecology
- An international and interdisciplinary professional society that promotes the use of an ecological perspective in both research and application.
The Spatial Economy
- Article by Masahisa Fujita, Paul Krugman and Anthrony Venables that describes the dramatic increase in research on economic geography. Includes a discussion of spatial aspects of the Dixit-Stiglitz model of monopolistic competition.
Springtime of Nations
- Blog following separatist movements, ethnic conflict, and other divisive political geography issues in the world today. Articles feature both information and commentary.
- An archive that provides the digitized boundary data associated with the 1991 Census of Population of the United Kingdom.
- A discussion of how Philadelphia is trying to apply GIS (Geographic Information Systems) effectively to the complex circumstances that surround neighborhood planning in a troubled urban environment.
Usenet comp.infosystems.gis -
Usenet comp.soft-sys.gis.esri -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: June 11, 2015 at 17:45:04 UTC -