become an editor
the entire directory
only in Topics/Rock_Art
Arts: Art History: Periods and Movements: Prehistoric Art
Regional: Africa: Namibia: Arts and Entertainment: Rock Art
Anasazi Rock Art
- Photographs of rock art of the Anasazi and other pueblo dwelling early inhabitants of the Four Corners Region of the United States.
Anasazi Rock Art Photos
- Photos of Anasazi Indian rock art, otherwise known as petroglyphs. These pictorial stories were chipped out of the desert varnish in Entrada sandstone about 600 years ago.
Archives of ROCK-ART
- Rock art discussion list.
Australian Rock Art Research Association
- Group whose focus is in the fields of rock art, palaeoart studies and cognitive archaeology. Discussion forum, book reviews, announcements, and rock art gallery.
Bolivian Rock Art Research Society (SIARB)
- Society for investigation and recording of rock paintings and petroglyphs, protection and conservation of rock art sites, as well as publication of scientific reports and education of the general public.
- The Bradshaw Paintings are incredibly sophisticated, as you will see from the 32 pictures in the Paintings Section, yet they are not recent creations but originate from an unknown past period which some suggest could have been 50,000 years ago.
International Federation of Rock Art Organizations (IFRAO)
- Federation of national and regional organizations promoting the study of rock art and cognitive archaeology. Features news, reports, information on conferences, and contact details.
International Rock Art Database Project
- University of New Mexico computerized database system for the storage and analysis of rock art data being developed with the support of the National Park Service, the Sandia Pueblo and the Chamisa Foundation.
Native American Petroglyphs, Pictographs, and Rock Art of the Southwestern United States
- Large personal photo gallery.
Petroglyphs and Rock Art
- Features captioned photographs and articles about rock art petroglyphs and pictographs. Mostly lesser known sites in the California deserts and the adjacent southwest.
- Photographs by Brian and Dave Lee of petroglyphs, pictographs, cave paintings, mostly Archaic styles of the Southwestern U.S.
Rock Art at Rice
- Introduction to prehistoric art with an emphasis on the southwest and western United States. Dating, interpretive theories, image database, and conservation.
Rock Art Dating and Conservation
- Essays on rock art dating and the rational for rock art conservation. History of and continuing rock art destruction is discussed.
Rock Art of the Blood of the Ancestors Grotto
- Data collection and analysis of the prehistoric pictographs of the Blood of the Ancestors Grotto, Saline County, Illinois.
Rock Art Pages
- A series of articles by James Q. Jacobs on the rock art of the American Southwest. Illustrated with photographs, ink renditions and background graphics. Includes free educational materials and desktop patterns.
Rock Art Research & Art History
- Focuses on the research interests of Reinaldo Morales including rock art of the Americas, photographs of prehistoric art, and links of interest to students of art history.
Rock Art Research Institute
- University of the Witwatersrand research project focused on Southern African rock art and its preservation. Archive, staff and project profiles, publications, related links.
Rock Art Studies: A Bibliographic Database
- Database of over 10,000 citations to the world's rock art literature, with an emphasis on English language and North American citations. Compiled by M. Leigh Marymor and hosted by the Bancroft Library, Berkley.
Rupestre.net: A Rock Art Site
- Includes a worldwide database of rock art links.
Southwestern United States Rock Art Gallery
- Images of rock art from sites in Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado.
Stand Up for the Burrup
- Stand Up for the Burrup is the website of Friends of Australian Rock Art, an international campaign group fighting to preserve the world's oldest and largest outdoor rock art landscape at the Dampier Archipelago, Western Australia.
UCLA Rock Art Archive
- This archive is a repository of several major private collections of rock art data and is open to visitors and researchers. Staff profiles, volunteer programs, collection information, grants, and related links.
University of Durham: Rock Art Past & Present
- Research papers on the recording, conservation, presentation and interpretation of Prehistoric Rock Art. Also course modules and links.
Utah Rock Art Research Association
- Organization dedicated to the education about and preservation of Native American rock art. Annual symposium information, membership, publications, gallery of rock art.
Earliest Evidence of Art found
- Archaeologists in Zambia uncover evidence that early humans used paint for aesthetic purposes far earlier than previously thought. (May 02, 2000)
Petroglyph Looters Sentenced
- Article on the sentencing of Arizona residents convicted of removing and selling petroglyphs from a national forest. (June 24, 1995)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: November 6, 2013 at 9:35:05 UTC -