become an editor
the entire directory
only in Topics/Megaliths
Open Directory - Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Topics: Megaliths
This category in other languages:
Ancient Stones - Megaliths in Western Europe
- Picture gallery and descriptions of megalithic sites in Western Europe. In English and German, with map interface.
- Provides information on megaliths in and around Osnabrück in North Germany, in English and German. Includes hiking trails [in German] and links.
- A detailed collection of pictures of menhirs and prehistoric graves in Germany, with descriptions and links. Also in German.
A Major New Megalithic Complex in Europe
- A new megalithic complex has been discovered, second only to Carnac in size and importance in Europe. Set in the forested hill-country of the Istranca Mountains in Turkish Thrace, clustered around the sacred mountain of Muhittin Baba, lies a group of standing stone complexes of comparable complexity and size, with the total number of individual stones reaching over 2,000
- Photographic guide to stone circles, megaliths and other prehistoric sites
The Megalithic Portal
- Database of ancient sites worldwide with thousands of entries and photographs. Information is contributed by visitors from dozens of countries. Also includes a regularly updated news section and active forum.
Megaliths in Western Europe
- Odile Prigent describes these great stone monuments and the Neolithic farmers who built them. Plans, drawings and photographs of the different types; important examples. French and English versions.
Megaliths of Apulia
- Toti Calo's photographic book of megaliths in Europe and specifically Apulia, Italy.
Megalítica - Megaliths of Menorca
- Photographs and descriptions by St. Jakobi of a variety of ancient structures on the island of Menorca.
- The life-histories of megalithic monuments in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Germany) An electronic monograph based on a Ph.D. thesis submitted by Cornelius J Holtorf to the University of Wales. It explores the ways in which the megaliths of the area were (and are) socially and culturally meaningful in many different ways.
- Some of the most interesting megalithic and other archaeological sites in Europe.
Stones of Italy
- In Italy too, there are megalithic monuments.
- Virtual visit to the prehistoric village of Talatí de Dalt, Minorca,. In English, Spanish, Catalan, French, Deutsch and Italiano.
A visit to Son Catlar
- Virtual visit to the prehistoric village of Son Catlar, Minorca. In English, Spanish and Catalan.
Who Built New England's Megalithic Monuments?
- Article by Paul Tudor Angel explores the possible origins of "odd rocks" found in the northeastern United States.
- A chance discovery of a group of megaliths on a coastal plain in western Yemen has sent scholars scrambling to explain why and how people were living there between ca. 2400 and 800 B.C. Article from Archaeology. (December 10, 1997)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:44:21 AM EDT -