become an editor
the entire directory
only in Archaeological_Computing/GIS_and_Remote_Sensing
GIS and Remote Sensing
Open Directory - Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Topics: Archaeological Computing: GIS and Remote Sensing
Business: Arts and Entertainment: Photography: Photographers: Aerial
Science: Earth Sciences: Geophysics: Products and Services: Consulting
Science: Social Sciences: Geography: Geographic Information Systems
AERA: Ancient Egypt Research Associates
- Non-profit organization researching Egypt’s archaeological record seeking the origins of civilization. Provides information on the projects being undertaken and the specialist studies involved.
Aerial Archaeological Research Group
- Aerial Archaeology Research Group, providing a forum for the exchange of ideas and information concerning all facets of aerial archaeology. Includes related bibliography and links.
- Jacques Dassié explains aerial archaeology and related techniques. Illustrated articles using examples from the Poitou-Charentes region of France.
Aerial Archaeology - Developing Future Practice
- Program of a NATO Workshop held in Poland in November 2000. Includes abstracts of all presented papers.
The Aerial Archaeology Newsletter
- A single issue by Baker Aerial Photography in 1996 discusses the history, methodology and uses of aerial photography for archaeology, with examples.
- The Institute for Prehistory and Protohistory of the University of Vienna explains the history, methods and uses of aerial archaeology. Description of the archive and samples from it.
Aerial Surveys of Persepolis and Ancient Iran
- Includes aerial photographs of excavations in progress in 1936, of sites under consideration at that time, and of other areas of Iran that were archaeologically unknown in 1936.
Archaeological Remote Sensing
- Techniques used by NASA for archeological research. Includes remote sensing data for Arenal, Costa Rica, Chaco Canyon, New Mexico, and The Petén, Guatemala.
Archaeological Site Modelling
- Article from the Oriental Institute Computer Laboratory presenting the methods and uses of data acquisition, templates, and computer analysis for site modelling. Contains link to a computer model of the Giza Plateau as an example.
Archaeology in Baden-Wurttemberg: A Pilot's View
- Aerial photographs of archaeological sites by Otto Braasch.
Archiving Aerial Photography and Remote Sensing Data
- Document is intended to be a guide to good practice in the creation and maintenance of digital resources related to aerial photography, satellite and airborne remote sensing, and archaeological interpretations made from such data sources.
BG-Map Cultural Resources Module
- Archaeology and anthropology database and mapping software for documentation of historical properties and their inhabitants.
City Planning System of the Ancient Bohai State
- Using Corona satellite photos, Noboru Ogata, Kyoto University Japan, studied city plans of an ancient kingdom which existed in northeastern China (7th - 10th century AD).
Digital Technologies at the Colesseum and the Baths of Caracalla
- Presentation of the results of a Virtual Heritage project to scan the architecture of the Baths of Caracalla and the Colosseum. The work utilized long range laser scanning to capture detailed model data of the structures.
Geomatics at Birchtown
- GIS and remote sensing technologies were used to explore and analyze the spatial and attribute information at Birchtown and to geo-correct the only known copy of a late eighteenth century land grants map of Birchtown, known as the Goulden Map.
Geophysical Prospection of Archaeological Sites
- Harald von der Osten-Woldenburg gives examples of the use of geomagnetics, geoelectrics, electromagnetic induction and ground penetrating radar in Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
GIS and Remote Sensing for Archaeology
- A long-term project by Dr. Scott Madry on the applications of remote sensing and GIS in the Burgundy region of France. Methodology, bibliography
GIS and Remote Sensing:Burgundy, France
- Detailed information regarding a multi-disciplinary research project: Applications of Geomatics for Long Term Regional Archaeological Settlement Pattern Analysis.
GIS for Archaeology
- The uses of Geographic Information Systems in archaeology presented by ESRI, publisher of ArcGIS.
GIS Guide to Good Practice
- Document designed specifically to provide guidance for individuals and organisations involved in the creation, maintenance, use and long-term preservation of GIS-based digital resources.
GISarch Discussion List
- This list is intended to facilitate discussion between archaeologists making use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technology.
Ground-Penetrating Radar in Archaeology
- Introduction to using radar geophysics to locate and map buried archaeological features. Includes links to sites on which GPR has been used.
How Geophysical Methods Can Help the Archaeologist
- A long article by Lambert Dolphin.
New Zealand Archaeology: The Aerial View
- The aerial photographs in this compendium are oblique or low oblique (near vertical) images taken by Kevin L. Jones.
North American Database of Archaeological Geophysics
- Database and website that aims to promote use, education, communication, and a knowledge base of the practice of archaeological geophysics in North America. Image library, projects database, bibliography, educational materials, instruments and manufacturer, practitioners, and events.
- Computer program written to assist in the planning of archaeological discoveries in difficult field situations. Includes its method, projects, photos, and download instructions.
Remote Sensing and Archaeology: The Chora of Chersonesos
- The Center for Space Research and the University of Texas Institute of Classical Archaeology project investigating the use of remote sensing in a comprehensive regional study of the ancient Greek agricultural territory. Includes an area description and historical background, excavation sites, remotely sensed data.
Remote Sensing Archeology Research at NASA
- NASA uses remote sensing for archeology research in the Peten Guatemala, Arenal region of Costa Rica, and Chaco Canyon in New Mexico.
Resistivity Survey of the Nevis Jewish Cemetery
- The information on this page is taken from "'What are you doing?': Examining a colonial period Jewish cemetery in the Caribbean", a paper given by Michelle Terrell at the 31st Annual Meetings of the Society for Historical Archaeology.
Securing a Future for Essex's Past
- Article from ArcUser magazine on the use of GIS by the County Council's Archaeology Section.
Sensuous and Reflexive GIS: Exploring Visualisation and VRML
- Developing a synergy between VRML and GIS. Internet Archaeology 1996.
The Sky's Eyes: Remote Sensing in Archaeology
- NOVA Online article that describes the remote sensing techniques used to find "The Lost City" of Ubar.
Space Radar Laboratory Images of Angkor, Cambodia
- Images from the international Space Radar Laboratory may help researchers find previously unknown settlements near the ancient city of Angkor in Cambodia.
- Researching methods for recording, indexing, analysing and delivering archaeological data with spatial and temporal components. Free TMJava software download.
Archaeology and GIS--The Linux Way
- A description of an archaeology project making use of the freely available geographic information system GRASS. From the Linux Journal, an article by R. Joe Brandon, Trevor Kludt and Markus Neteler. (July 01, 1999)
GIS and Remote Sensing
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Sunday, July 28, 2013 2:51:45 PM EDT -