become an editor
the entire directory
only in United_Kingdom/Scotland
Open Directory - Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Scotland
Bannockburn Neolithic Enclosures
- An illustrated report by Jim Rideout of recent archaeological inquiry into the Neolithic enclosures at Bannockburn, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
- On-line access to the database of the National Monuments Record of Scotland, containing details of many thousands of archaeological sites, monuments, buildings and maritime sites.
Dark Age Dumfries and Galloway
- Online exhibition from Dumfries and Galloway Museums and Galleries of early Christian sites and carved crosses, with a clickable map of sites.
- Archaeological excavation of a neolithic henge monument in Scotland by Southampton and Manchester Universities.
Excavations at Quoygrew
- Describes the Viking Age Transitions Project, a collaboration between Historic Scotland and the Universities of Cambridge and York. Features diaries and reports from 1999 to 2004, with photographs and list of publications. Westray, Orkney Islands.
Minehowe: The Underground Enigma
- Illustrated feature in journalist Sigurd Towrie's 'Orkneyjar' on the underground chamber in Orkney and its survey in 1999 by geophysics expert John Gater.
Museum of St Albans and Verulamium Museum
- The Roman city at the present St. Albans was the third largest in Roman Britain. An introduction with historical outline, reconstruction drawing, photographs and links.
North Atlantic Research Unit: Old Scatness and Jarlshof Environs Project
- Provides information about a joint excavation of an Iron Age village in South Shetland by Bradford University and the Shetland Amenity Trust.
Orkney Archaeology Society
- History of the society, information on membership, archaeological activity in Orkney and a calendar of events.
Scottish Archaeological Internet Reports
- Free download of archaeological reports. Published by The Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, in association with The Council for British Archaeology and Historic Scotland. [PDF]
- Frank Wayman's photo gallery of ancient monuments, with comments. Mostly W and SW Scotland, but also featuring the Stones mailing list trip to Avebury.
The Antonine Wall
- Description of the everyday life of the Roman soldier on the Antonine Wall in Scotland.
- The Roman Capital of South Scotland at Newstead, near Melrose, Scotland. Photographs, history, description and visitor information.
West Lothian Archaeology Group
- Archaeology of the West Lothian area with emphasis on low-level aerial photography using a kite.
Demolition May Unearth City's History
- From BBC, archaeologists hope to find important traces of medieval life in Edinburgh as fire-damaged buildings in the are dismantled. (December 13, 2002)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Thursday, November 11, 2010 3:29:55 PM EST -