become an editor
the entire directory
only in United_Kingdom/England
Anglo-Scandinavian and Roman Remains at 28 - 29 High Ousegate, York, UK
- Report by York Archaeological Trust describing evidence for craft industries on the site including leather working, textile production, antler working and horn working.
Anglo-Scandinavian, Medieval and Post-Medieval Urban Occupation at 41–49 Walmgate, York
- Report by York Archaeological Trust on excavations between August and October 2000 on the industrial hub of medieval York.
Arbeia Roman Fort at South Shields
- An article on the excavation with plans and photographs (one showing the reconstructed gatehouse) originally published in Current Archaeology 133.
BBC Radio 4 - Unearthing Mysteries - Tri-Radial Cairns in Northumberland
- Prof. Aubrey Manning examines possible astronomical alignments in a class of cairns found in northernmost England.
Butser Ancient Farm
- An open-air laboratory where experiments into every aspect of prehistoric life are continuously being conducted.
Caistor Roman Town, Norfolk
- Short description of the Roman town of Caistor St Edmund, once Norfolk's capital. Map of the remains.
Canterbury Archaeological Trust Fieldwork
- Searchable excerpts from the Annual Reports of the Canterbury Archaeological Trust, hosted by Peter Collinson's Canterbury Tour site.
- An illustrated report by Kevin Blockley and Paul Bennett on the discovery by the Canterbury Archaeological Trust of remains of the Anglo-Saxon cathedral. Plan and reconstruction drawing.
Chedworth Roman Villa
- Guide to Chedworth Roman Villa for exploring and understanding the remains of a large country house of the Roman period.
Chester: A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls
- Steve Howe of the Black and White Picture Place provides a guide around the Roman and medieval city wall. Map, modern and archival images with description and history, including quotations from primary sources.
Coal and Wine Tax Posts
- The Victorian posts which stand in a ring around London, UK. Includes a full list of the posts and over 100 photos.
Codrington's Roman Roads in Britain
- Full text of Thomas Codrington's classic early 20C work provided online by Bill Thayer. Searchable. Italian, Spanish and French language versions available.
Creswell Crags - Home of the Ice Age Hunter
- Creswell Heritage Trust provides an illustrated guide to this limestone gorge honeycombed with caves which have yielded evidence of life during the last Ice Age. Visitor information.
Defences of Chester
- Computer reconstructions of the Roman town walls by Julian Baum and Tim Strickland.
English Heritage Archaeology and Survey
- The department responsible for providing advice and expertise in archaeology and archaeological science. Includes summaries of projects funded by the Archaeology Commission.
Gosfield Hall Donkey Gin and Beam Pump
- Photographs, description, and restoration plans provided by the Sussex Industrial Archaeology Society.
Herefordshire Through Time
- A huge resource from the Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record. It includes a county history, database of archaeological sites and gazetteers of castles, chapels, prisons and workhouses.
I Dig Sheffield
- An online guide to archaeology around Sheffield and the Peak District from Sheffield Galleries and Museums Trust. Sheffield City Museum's collection, archaeological sites and news. Messageboard.
Iron Age Chariot Unearthed
- The Hull Daily Mail reports the discovery of a chariot and skeleton at Wetwang, East Yorkshire. Thought to be the burial of an aristocrat from the Parisi tribe.
Lincolnshire's Archaeology Handbook
- Guidelines for all those involved in archaeological projects mainly initiated as a result of the town and country planning process.
Performative Practice: Identity and Agency at the Causewayed Enclosures of Windmill Hill and Etton
- Dissertation by Oliver Harris focusing on these two Neolithic sites.
The Roman Painted House at Dover, England
- Roman archaeological site discovered in 1970 by the Kent Archaeological Rescue Unit in Dover, and open to the public.
Roman Roadside Settlement at Nettleton
- Lincolnshire County Council gives a brief outline of its excavations in conjunction with the Universities of Durham and Sheffield. Plan of Roman Lincolnshire.
Roman Villas in England
- Britain Express outlines the history and features of Roman villas in England, with diagrams. Brief details of major villas to visit.
Silchester Roman Town, Hampshire
- The University of Reading runs a training excavation here every summer. Clickable map of the Roman town showing excavations, photographs, background, interim reports, reconstruction.
Southern Quantocks Archaeological Survey
- Department of Archaeology, University of Winchester. Outlines the project for its survey of the 100 or so crop mark sites in the area: background, methodology, maps and photographs.
St. Albans Archaeology and History
- Archaeologist Chris Saunders provides an interactive tour of medieval St. Albans via clickable map, and chronology of the city once Roman Verulamium and later a rich abbey.
A Study of Grimspound
- Remains of a middle Bronze Age settlement on Dartmoor, England. The site consists essentially of a walled enclosure of a little over four acres in area containing the remains of many dwellings which take the form of circles of granite boulders known as hut circles or round houses.
Tests Show Cathedral Timbers are Original
- From Guardian Unlimited, in 1222 they had a crisis in Salisbury. Masons were racing ahead raising the walls of the cathedral, but the carpenters were running out of timbers needed for the roof.
Warwickshire Sites and Monuments Record
- A database of images and information about thousands of sites and finds in the county, dating from prehistory through to the 20th century. Discovery Zone for young people. Glossary.
Wharram Percy, Yorkshire
- Ken Tompkins draws on his experience as Chief Guide there to explain the discovery of this deserted medieval village. Plan, photographs, reconstruction drawing.
Whitehall Farm Roman Villa and Landscape Project
- Professional archaeologists, students and volunteers are uncovering a Roman villa and bath house complex at Nether Heyford in Northamptonshire. Results, project outline and community involvement.
- Medieval settlements and landscapes in the Whittlewood, Northants area. Project outline, archaeological and historical research, parish surveys. With photos and maps.
Yorkshire Rock Art
- Graeme C. presents location maps, photographs and descriptions of Yorkshire's Neolithic and Bronze Age cup and ring rock carvings.
Roman Villas Found under Playing Field
- The Telegraph reports on the remarkable discovery of twin villas with a fine mosaic at Bradford-on-Avon in Wiltshire. Includes reconstruction drawing and photograph of the mosaic. (August 18, 2002)
Bulldozer Unearths Fine Roman Mosaic
- An illustrated article in the Telegraph on the discovery of one the largest and most spectacular Roman mosaics found in Britain. (November 08, 2001)
Archaeologists Unearth Ancient Jewish Bath
- An illustrated report in the Telegraph of the discovery of a stone ritual bath (mikvah) in London - the 2nd found in Britain from the medieval period. (October 25, 2001)
Dig Reveals Stone Age Camp in Time Warp
- The Telegraph reports on the discovery in Hampshire of a camp site likened to a Stone Age Marie Celeste. Tools of nomadic hunter-gathers were found as they were left. (July 03, 2001)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: May 20, 2016 at 0:24:03 UTC -