become an editor
the entire directory
only in Europe/United_Kingdom
Contractors and Consultants
Field Schools and Fieldwork Opportunities
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Arts and Entertainment: Architecture: Historic Buildings: Organisations
Regional: Europe: United Kingdom: Society and Culture: History: Heritage
Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Regional: South America: Falkland Islands
- Britain Express provides a guide to prehistoric stone circles, mounds, and other megalithic sites in England and Wales, including an A-Z gazetteer of sites, feature articles and visitor information.
BBC Online - Archaeology
- Features include marine archaeology by Colin Martin, a 'Hunt the Ancestor' game and column from Julian Richards, virtual archaeology, A-Z of carbon dating, Piltdown Man and dig reports.
British and Irish Archaeological Bibliography
- Online, searchable version of the published bibliography covering publications from 1695 to the present day on archaeology and the historic environment, historic buildings, maritime and industrial archaeology, environmental history, and the conservation of material culture.
British Archaeological Jobs and Resources
- Offers job and course listings, CVs and who's who in the world of UK heritage.
Forum on Information Standards in Heritage
- Promotes and develops standards covering the compilation and organization of 'inventories' of archaeological and architectural heritage.
The Invisible Diggers
- Paul Everill's PhD research through the Department of Archaeology, University of Southampton aims to study the state of the commercial sector of the archaeological profession in the UK through the words of those who work, or have worked within it.
Isle of Albion
- Featuring descriptive guides and photographs of megalithic and medieval historic British sites.
Management of Archaeological Projects
- Complete digital version of the guidelines from English Heritage.
The Modern Antiquarian
- Based on Julian Cope's guidebook of the same name, it contains user-contributed descriptions and images of many archaeological sites in the British Isles, and a forum.
- Protects and opens to the public many historic houses and gardens, as well as industrial monuments and mills. They also look after countryside sites and archaeological remains.
- The archaeological sites index (ARCHI) is searchable database of thousands of UK sites. Other resources: historical figures and events, glossary, on-line gallery, forum.
Prehistoric Britons' Taste for Milk
- From BBC, scientists analyse fat residues on pots to show ancient Britons were keeping animals for milk at least 6,500 years ago.
- Roman expert Guy de la Bédoyère provides the texts from 'Roman Inscriptions of Britain', with a catalogue of gods and goddesses drawn from them. Also an illustrated guide to Hadrian's Wall, details of Roman army units in Britain, artist's reconstructions, information on his books.
Roman Inscriptions of Britain
- Roman expert Guy de la Bédoyère has made available on-line the texts from the standard work 'Roman Inscriptions of Britain', vol.1.
Roman Sites of the British Isles
- Illustrated descriptions of some notable sites from The Heritage Trail. Including Richborough, Silchester, Wall, Wroxeter and the villas at Bignor and Lullingstone.
Romano-British Sites and Museums
- List of Roman forts, towns and villas in England, Scotland and Wales from 'Athena Review' vol.1, nos.1 and 2.
Seahenge Dated to Spring 2050 BC
- From BBC, precise dating reveals that Seahenge 4,050 years old. Photographs, reconstruction, links.
Sedgeford Historical and Archaeological Research Project
- A multi-period, multi-disciplinary research project on a typical Norfolk parish. Includes details of the research areas, illustrated reports, taught courses and the supervisory team.
Society of Antiquaries Library Catalogue
- Online access to the library catalogue of the UK's leading learned society for Archaeology.
TORC: The Training Online Resource Centre for Archaeology
- The CBA's Archaeology Training Forum provides searchable databases of all types of archaeological courses, fieldwork opportunities and organisations in the UK.
Treasure Act 1996
- The law in England, Wales and Northern Ireland relating to the handling of treasure trove. Sets out the meaning and ownership of treasure.
Walk the Timeline with Current Archaeology
- A series of readable, illustrated articles from the popular magazine take us through the archaeology of Britain from Prehistory to the Middle Ages.
West of Scotland Archaeology Service
- Up-to-date news on the latest discoveries and events, search of Sites and Monuments Record, contains information about all known archaeological sites and finds. A prototype system, only the data for Inverclyde Council has been included.
Bones Unearthed at Medieval Ship Site
- From BBC, experts digging up the remains of a 15th century ship from a Newport river uncover two leg bones which they believe were a medieval salvage worker's. (December 12, 2002)
Medieval Ship's Hull is Removed
- From the BBC, final section of a 15th Century trading vessel discovered preserved in mud by a south Wales river is removed by archaeologists. (November 07, 2002)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: April 6, 2016 at 21:15:45 UTC -