become an editor
the entire directory
only in Europe/Greece
Open Directory - Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Regional: Europe: Greece
Contractors and Consultants
Field Schools and Fieldwork Opportunities
Minoan and Mycenaean
Arts: Classical Studies
Recreation: Collecting: Coins: Ancient: Greek
Regional: Europe: Greece: Arts and Entertainment: Architecture
Regional: Europe: Greece: Society and Culture: History
Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Regional: Mediterranean
Society: History: By Time Period: Ancient: Wars and Conflicts: Persian Wars
This category in other languages:
Prehistoric Archaeology of the Aegean
- Series of lessons and illustrations, tracing the Aegean from Palaeolithic and Neolithic times to Minoan Crete and Mycenaean Greece by Jeremy B. Rutter at Dartmouth College.
The "Lost" Portico at Knossos: The Central Court Revisited
- American Journal of Archaeology 106(4). The proposal is made that lining the court here was a long pillared portico of two adjoining sections. [PDF]
Ancient Cities of Crete
- Article on the various excavated cities in Crete.
Athenian Agora Excavations
- The American School of Classical Studies in Athens presents its findings from excavations since 1931, which are displayed in the reconstructed Hellenistic Stoa of Attalos Includes Quicktime videos.
Athens Archaeological Park
- Offers an interactive map, photos and brief summaries of the archaeological sites.
- Gallery of Byzantine art and historical related images.
The Canal of Xerxes in Northern Greece: Explorations 1991-2001
- Investigation of the 2 km canal built by King Xerxes across a isthmus on the Athos peninsula in northern Greece to allow his fleet safe access into the Aegean in advance of the Persian invasion of the early fifth century BCE.
- Collection of photographic images of the Temple of Apollo,and the Acrocorinth.
The Corinth Computer Project
- A computerized architectural and topographical survey of the Roman era colony of Corinth, by the University of Pennsylvania.
- Collection of photographic images of Delphi: Temple of Apollo, Sanctuary of Athena, and the Athenian Treasury.
Excavation of the Cave of Euripides on Salamis
- Report on the excavations conducted in the cave during 1996 by Yannos G. Lolos, Assistant Professor of Prehistoric Archaeology at the University of Ioannina, Epirus.
Fieldwork Project at Geraki
- Dutch archaeological study of the occupational history of the acropolis site of Geraki in Laconia, and its relationship to the rest of Laconia and the Aegean world. The methods used include topographical studies, intensive survey, and excavation.
Finnish Excavations at Arethousa
- Excavations at Arethousa, Greece, conducted by the Finnish Institute at Athens. Site dates from the Neolithic period onwards and the study is centered on an ancient basilica and its environs.
- Collection of useful links on Greek archaeology. Research institutes, architecture, sites, craft and engineering, and special topics.
Images of the Palace at Knossos
- Photographs of the palace built c.1700-1300 BC taken by Mary Ann Sullivan, Bluffton College. Part of her Digital Imaging Project.
Mallakastra Regional Archaeological Project
- Multi-disciplinary and diachronic archaeological expedition formally organized in 1996 to investigate the history of prehistoric and historic settlement and land use in an area centered on the Greek colony of Apollonia. The project employs techniques of intensive archaeological surface survey in conjunction with natural environmental investigations.
- Information about all the major and some of the minor archaeological sites of the Bronze Age civilisation in Crete. Descriptions and photos.
- Collection of photographic images of the Citadel and Lions Gate.
Nemea Valley Archaeological Project
- Bryn Mawr College and American School of Classical Studies intensive surface survey and analysis of an area of approximately 80 square kilometers in the southern Corinthia, Greece.
New Light on the Dark Age of Greece
- Essays on Dark Age archaeology by Jan Sammer.
Ohio State University - Excavations at Isthmia
- Conducts archaeological research, education, and publication at the Sanctuary of Poseidon at Isthmia. Provides preliminary reports, fieldwork, projects, resources, and news.
The Oxford Sphakia Survey
- An interdisciplinary archaeological project studying life in Sphakia, Crete, from the time that people arrived in the area (by ca 3000 BCE), until the end of Ottoman rule in AD 1900. It involves the use of environmental, archaeological, documentary, and local information collected over a 13-year period.
Palace at Knossos, Crete
- Photographs, 3D computer model, brief description and bibliography of the great Minoan palace from Great Buildings Online.
Palace of Knossos in Minoan Crete
- An introduction with artist's impression and visitor information from Dilos Holiday World.
Petrota and its Stones
- Provides information on the archaeological explorations of this area where the siliceous rocks are suitable for the manufacture of stone tools.
- Advertisement for the volume entitled "The Nautical Origin of Greek Architecture and Sculpture". Includes a 12 page PDF synopsis of the theory and its basic evidence.
Slavic Settlement of Greece in the Light of Archaeological Sources
- In spite of the fact that the Slavic settlement in Greece has not yet been completely elaborated, a sufficient attention has been paid to it in research of various scientific branches. Archaeological research is slowly and gradually completing the picture already longer known from written and linguistic sources.
UNCG Mochlos Archaeological Project
- Excavation of a sites on the island of Mochlos and its adjacent coastal plain in eastern Crete, sponsored by the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and the University of Athens.
Usenet alt.history.ancient-worlds -
Usenet bit.listserv.hellas -
Usenet sci.archaeology -
Usenet sci.archaeology.moderated -
Usenet soc.culture.greek -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: November 10, 2013 at 7:15:05 UTC -