become an editor
the entire directory
only in Africa/Nigeria
Open Directory - Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Regional: Africa: Nigeria
Contractors and Consultants
Regional: Africa: Nigeria: Society and Culture: History
Archaeology in Northeastern Nigeria
- Study from the University of Frankfurt which examines what archaeological discoveries in northeastern Nigeria have revealed about the history and culture of the area.
Fragments of Stone Sculptures from Igbomina
- In 1933, H. G. Ramshaw, the CMS School Inspector for the Oro area, informed the public of the presence of stone figures in the area. Over 800 pieces of carved stone, mostly representing human figures, are located at Esie in western Igbomina.
Ife (from ca. 350 B.C.)
- Article on this city which, according to the Yoruba people, is where the founding deities Oduduwa and Obatala began the creation of the world.
Ife Pre-Pavement and Pavement Era (800–1000 A.D.)
- Article on this ancient Yoruba city in south-western Nigeria.
Nok Terracottas (500 BC–200 AD)
- The Nok culture remains an enigma. It is one of the earliest African centers of ironworking and terracotta figure production.
Osun-Osogbo Sacred Grove
- UNESCO World Heritage site. Includes photographs, maps, a description of the site and a statement of significance.
Settlement Archaeology in Nigeria
- The history of scientific archaeological research in Nigeria and its relatively recent development.
Sukur Cultural Landscape
- UNESCO World Heritage site. Includes photographs, maps, a description of the site and a justification for inscription.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:33:58 PM EST -