become an editor
the entire directory
only in Africa/Mali
Contractors and Consultants
Regional: Africa: Mali: Society and Culture: History
The Dogon Blacksmiths
- In Mali, on the cliffs inhabited by the Dogon, an ethnoarchaeologist and a cameraman participated in the reduction of iron ore.
Inland Niger Delta
- Article on the history of this region and the ancient city of Jenne-jeno or Djenne-jeno, which was first populated in about 250 B.C.
- Archeological project in Jenné-jeno, Mali.
Searching for the Origins of African Rice Domestication
- African rice (Oryza glaberrima) was an important staple for peoples across much of West Africa. Favoured for its resistance to drought, disease, and pests, its cultivation has spread during the past 1000 years and more, over broad regions of western Africa.
- UNESCO World Heritage site. Includes photographs, maps, a description of this centre for the propagation of Islam throughout Africa in the 15th and 16th centuries.
Floods Damage Ancient Timbuktu
- From BBC, heavy rains in Mali destroy almost 200 old mud buildings in the desert city of Timbuktu amid fears of more flooding. (September 09, 2003)
Africa Losing Priceless Relics
- From CNN, but secrets buried in Djenne could be lost forever as antiquities are being plundered and sold to international art dealers. (October 10, 1995)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: January 2, 2007 at 17:55:45 UTC -