become an editor
the entire directory
only in Africa/Ethiopia
Open Directory - Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Regional: Africa: Ethiopia
Contractors and Consultants
Regional: Africa: Ethiopia: Society and Culture: History
Science: Social Sciences: Linguistics: Languages: Natural: Afro-Asiatic: Ethiopic
Society: History: By Time Period: Ancient: Africa: Ethiopia
This category in other languages:
- Brief description of an ethnoarchaeological research project in the Ethiopian Highlands. Features map and photographs of fieldwork.
- UNESCO World Heritage site. Includes photographs, maps and a description of the ancient city.
Axum and the Ark of the Covenant
- Provides a history of the city, information on the Ark and its final resting place, what can be seen and when to visit.
Combating the Destruction of Ethiopia's Archaeological Heritage: Continued
- The Shire District Archaeological Survey Project returned to the Indasellassie region, north-western administrative zone of Tigray, northern Ethiopia in December 2003. Antiquity Vol 78 No 302 December 2004.
Foundations of Aksumite Civilization and Its Christian Legacy (1st–7th century A.D.)
- Images, maps, and text describing Aksum.
Harar Jugol, the Fortified Historic Town
- UNESCO World Heritage site. Includes photographs, maps, a description of the site and a justification for inscription.
Rock-Hewn Churches, Lalibela
- UNESCO World Heritage site. Includes photographs, maps and a description of the site.
The Axum Obelisk
- Italy promised in writing - in the 1947 Peace Treaty - to return the obelisk to Axum and is closer than ever to doing so. Past technical difficulties have been overcome.
The Monumental Stelae of Aksum (3rd–4th Century)
- Article on the ancient city's most renowned surviving monuments, a group of memorial obelisks in a great variety of form and scale.
Obelisk Returned to Ethiopia After 68 Years
- From the Guardian, the first piece of a huge 1,700-year-old granite obelisk was returned home from Italy to Ethiopia yesterday, 68 years after it was looted by the troops of the fascist Italian dictator Benito Mussolini. (April 20, 2005)
Lucy Fossil Cleared for U.S. Tour
- MSNBC article reports that Ethiopia will send 2-million-year-old 'Lucy’ to the Houston Museum of Natural Science in 2007. (April 13, 2004)
Older than Egypt is Ethiopia
- From Al-Ahram, Ethiopia, the very cradle of mankind, the material evidence of its ancient civilisation alone attests to its former glory. (August 21, 2003)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 7:38:23 AM EDT -