become an editor
the entire directory
only in Periods_and_Cultures/Roman
Periods and Cultures
Arts: Architecture: History: Periods and Styles: Classical: Roman
Arts: Art History: Periods and Movements: Ancient Art: Roman
Arts: Classical Studies: Roman
Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Regional: Europe: Italy
Society: History: By Time Period: Ancient: Rome
This category in other languages:
- Bill Thayer's extensive collection of materials on ancient Rome. Includes a gazetteer of sites in the Roman Empire with annotated photographs of Roman monuments, classical texts and 19th-century archaeological and topographical works.
- The French Ministry of Culture provides a virtual visit to the Roman city: model, plans, photographs and description. Also a guide, bibliography and visitor information.
Discovering Roman Roads
- Provides information on the visible traces of the Roman road network across Europe and North Africa. In English and Italian.
The Egnatia Way
- Devoted to the ancient Roman road through the Balkans via Egnatia and to the ancient landscape of Albania, Macedonia and Greece. [English, Italian, Macedonian and German]
A Gazetteer of the Roman World
- This section of Bill Thayer's huge Lacus Curtius site provides many photographs of cities and monuments of the ancient Roman world, some with detailed commentary.
Karanis: An Egyptian Town in Roman Times
- The Kelsey Museum of Archaeology describes the discoveries of the excavation by the University of Michigan 1924-1935 of this village inhabited from the 3rd century BC to the 5th century AD.
Lepcis Magna - The Roman Empire in Africa
- Dr Hafed Walda reports on the latest excavations of this amazingly preserved Roman city on the North African coast, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Major Roman Settlements and Roman Roads in the UK
- Provides a map showing the location of major settlements and roads during the period of the Roman occupation. It includes a list of the Roman names of settlements with links to their present day counterparts.
MAV - Virtual Archaeological Museum
- Will offer a tour of an exhibition dedicated to the ancient cities of Herculaneum and Pompeii. Includes details of the exhibits. [Italian and English]
Praetoria Agrippinae Roman Information Site
- Describes the excavation of the castellum at Valkenburg (Praetoria Agrippinae) in Holland, with many detailed pictures, distribution maps, and searchable databases.
Roman Chariotway Outflanked Modern Road
- From the Gardian, archaeologists have unearthed a Roman "motorway" wider than the A road which runs along the same route today.
- Re-creations of Hellenistic and Roman 'cast' mosaic glass vessels by Mark Taylor and David Hill, with discussions on ancient glassmaking techniques
Roman Open Air Museum Hechingen-Stein
- A reconstructed Roman Villa Rustica from the 1st to the 3rd century A.D. Description of the site, walking tour and panoramic views.
The Roman Roads
- The oldest road map in existence - Peutinger's Tabula, a 12th-century copy of a Roman road map. Each section is accompanied by related links.
Roman Towns Project
- Southampton University investigates the context of the Roman towns sites of southern Spain, taking the known sites of Seville Province, Andalucia, as a case study.
Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies
- Publishes 'Journal of Roman Studies' and 'Britannia' and monographs (abstracts online). Activities, lectures, grants.
Roman Mosaic Treasure Unearthed
- From the Telegraph, dazzling Roman mosaics have been discovered by archaeologists on the site of an ancient villa in Sicily. (July 10, 2003)
Ancient Roman Cosmetic Cream Unearthed
- From New Scientist, stunningly well-preserved cosmetics canister, containing a white cream, has been unearthed at the site of an ancient Roman temple in London. (July 08, 2003)
See You at the Spa!
- A re-analysis of Roman Bath's iconography led Martin Henig to envision the spa as a place used both by Romans and aspiring native Celts. Article in Archaeology. (January 28, 2000)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: October 1, 2015 at 8:24:04 UTC -