become an editor
the entire directory
only in Prehistory/Neolithic
Periods and Cultures
This category in other languages:
Aegean and Cyprus in the Early Holocene: Brothers or Distant Relatives?
- Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry 1(1). This paper discusses the neolithication of the Aegean as opposed to Cyprus.
Ancient Neolithic Architecture
- Great Buildings Online gives images, with commentary and sources, of outstanding monuments built by Neolithic societies: Stonehenge and the Temple at Tarxien, Malta.
Archaeology of the Neolithic Levant and Nomadic Pastoralism
- This site documents current research in the Neolithic of the southern levant, with especial regard to ancient pastoral societies.
ArchAtlas: Archaeological Atlas Project
- Uses satellite images and electronic mapping to interpret the location and spread of early farming and urban communities across the world.
Evolution of Crop Plants
- Course materials in on the Neolithic Revolution from the University of California, Davis.
First Farmers With No Taste for Grain
- Bone analysis suggests Neolithic people preferred meat to cereals, writes Mike Richards in British Archaeology.
Gardening History Timeline - From Ancient Times
- Provides a general overview of global plant domesitication beginning in the Neolithic. Includes archaeological discoveries in both Old and New worlds.
Hairy Clues to the Iceman's Diet
- The neolithic man discovered in an Italian glacier in 1991 carried a bow and arrows, leading archaeologists to label him a hunter. Chemical analysis of his hair now indicates that he was a vegetarian.
How Agriculture Came to Central Europe
- Paper presented by Peter Bogucki at the annual meeting for the Society for American Archaeology, Minneapolis, May 1995.
Human Biology and the First Farmers of Western Europe
- Mary Jackes, David Lubell and Christopher Meiklejohn discuss the effects of the transition to agriculture on human health.
The Neolithic Diaspora in Europe
- An article that describes the migration and dispersal of farmers and the adoption of crops and livestock by indigenous foragers.
The Neolithic Mosaic on the North European Plain
- This essay examines the issue of migration among Neolithic peoples and how this shaped cultural developments during this period in Europe.
- An essay describing several prominent archaeological sites in Turkey.
The Origins of Agriculture as a Natural Experiment in Cultural Evolution
- An article by Peter J. Richerson, Robert Boyd, and Robert L. Bettinger that speculates on evolutionary factors driving the Neolithic Revolution.
Commemorating the dead, Neolithic style
- From The Daily Star, a reinterpretation of Neolithic plastered skulls from Jordan, Syria, Israel and Turkey is changing the way scholars think about cult, death and the afterlife in the Neolithic and the ancient Middle East. (November 03, 2004)
Study Suggests Neolithic Migration
- Stanford researchers find that genetics can predict the presence of certain artifacts, supporting theories that prehistoric people migrated from the Middle East to Europe, reports Science Daily. (September 11, 2002)
Usenet sci.archaeology -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: March 13, 2014 at 12:35:10 UTC -