become an editor
the entire directory
only in Medieval/Viking
Periods and Cultures
Open Directory - Science: Social Sciences: Archaeology: Periods and Cultures: Medieval: Viking
Society: History: By Time Period: Middle Ages: Vikings
Birka and Hovgården
- UNESCO describes this archaeological complex which illustrates the elaborate trading networks of Viking Age Europe.
British Museum: Viking Artefacts
- Fine objects, including jewellery, from Viking sites. Photographs and descriptions.
Excavations at Quoygrew
- Describes the Viking Age Transitions Project, a collaboration between Historic Scotland and the Universities of Cambridge and York. Features diaries and reports from 1999 to 2004, with photographs and list of publications. Orkney Islands, Scotland.
Explore a Viking Village
- NOVA Online's video tour of a life-like scale model of Birka, a medieval Viking village that archaeologists excavated near modern-day Stockholm.
Genetic Survey of Wirral and West Lancashire
- Professor Steve Harding of Nottingham University heads a team looking for evidence for Viking descendants in this part of Britain.
Hammer in the North: Mjollnir in Medieval Scandinavia
- An article with bibliography by Daniel Bray at Sydney University on the proliferation of small metal amulets representing Mjollnir, the magical hammer of the god Thor, in the archaeological record of tenth century Scandinavia.
Jorvik Viking Centre
- Built on the site where the York Archaeological Trust found the amazingly well-preserved remains of part of Viking Jorvik (York). A massive range of evidence was recovered and has been used to recreate every last aspect of everyday life.
Lost Civilizations - Vikings
- Article provides an introduction to these warriors, also called Norsemen, as well as information about the Isle of Man, and Leif Eriksson.
Ribe Viking Museum
- The museum is located where the first town in Denmark was founded. Includes reconstructions of the market place in 720 and the manor farm in 980.
Rosala Viking Centre
- The museum presents finds from nearby Örsund on the Viking route through the Finnish archipelago, together with reconstructed Viking houses. Viking history, visitor information.
The Nibelungs Saga - Its True Core by the Svava
- Site by Rolf Badenhausen arguing that the Old Nordic Theoderic Codices provide evidence of the historical Nibelungs.
The Rise and Fall of the Vikings and the Little Ice Age
- Illustrated, scholarly study by Scott Mandia on the impact of long-term climate changes on the Viking civilization in Greenland and Iceland.
- Anders Söderberg explores ancient metalcraft and research from mainly an experimental approach. Articles, images, bibliography and links.
- The official website for the Viking Trail region of Newfoundland and Labrador, with visitor information for the 1,000 year-old Norse settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows.
- BBC Online presents aspects of the history of the Vikings in the British Isles. Includes dig reports, 3D model of a Viking Age farm at Ribblehead, Yorkshire, and fun approaches for kids.
- This part of an exhibit from the Smithsonian about the Vikings in the New World covers the discoveries at L'Anse aux Meadows. Includes videos of reconstructions.
Vikings and the New East Anglian Towns
- The Vikings transformed culture and society in 9th-11th century East Anglia, writes Andrew Rogerson in British Archaeology. (June 01, 1998)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Friday, October 16, 2009 11:27:34 AM EDT -