become an editor
the entire directory
only in Linguistic_Anthropology/Ape_Sign_Language
Ape Sign Language
Reference: Dictionaries: Sign Languages
Science: Biology: Zoology: Chordates: Mammalogy: Primatology
Society: Issues: Animal Welfare: Specific Animals: Primates
Are Nonhuman Species Capable of Language Acquisition?
- A discussion of the value and validity of ape language research.
Chimp Talk Debate: Is it Really Language?
- Article by George Johnson in the New York Times in which he outlines varying views on ape communication.
The Chimpanzee and Human Communication Institute
- This institute at Central Washington University cares for five chimpanzees who are being taught American Sign Language.
Koko the Gorilla
- The Gorilla Foundation brings interspecies communication to the public through Koko, famous for her sign language skills.
Language in Apes: How Much Do They Know and How Much Should We Teach Them
- An overview written by Dave Switzer that features a summaries of multiple research projects. Also offers primate glossary.
Language in Child and Chimp?
- General commentary on ape language with transcripts of chats with apes and interviews with ape language researchers.
Language Research Center
- Primate research center studying language acquisition through work with bonobos and chimpanzees. Features a list of publications and ape biographies.
Non-Human Primates and Language
- This project is part of a theoretical course on Syntax and Grammatical Theories taught by Prof. Dirk Geeraerts at K.U.Leuven.
Primate Research Institute: Section of Language and Intelligence
- Chimpanzee language research projects at Kyoto University. News, pictures and biographies of chimpanzee subjects as well as researchers.
Primate Use of Language
- Lauren Kosseff argues that the documentation of elementary language competence in species other than humans has significant implications for the understanding of the evolution of the human species. Article includes a history of ape sign language research.
The Primatech Project
- A cognitive model of Chantek, a signing orangutan, for an installation at Zoo Atlanta.
The Straight Dope: Are Gorillas Using Sign Language Really Communicating with Humans?
- Cecil Adams' research column on the divided scientific opinions about apes and language. (March 28, 2003)
Ape Sign Language
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: January 2, 2007 at 17:56:15 UTC -