become an editor
the entire directory
only in Anthropology/Cultural_Anthropology
Open Directory - Science: Social Sciences: Anthropology: Cultural Anthropology
Methods and Techniques
Folklore and Mythology
Science: Social Sciences: Geography: Human Geography
Science: Social Sciences: Sociology: Rural Sociology
Society: Ethnicity: Indigenous People
This category in other languages:
A Journey Through The Culture of Capitalism
- Explores capitalism as a cultural phenomenon rather than an economic philosophy.
- A guide to anthropological theories and approaches prepared by graduate students of the University of Alabama under the direction of Dr. Michael D. Murphy.
Anthropology Resource Base
- Resources for indigenous cultures around the world provided by NativeWeb.
Anthropology, Gender and Masculinity
- Site featuring articles, images, news, and links related to the anthropological study of masculinity and gender. [English and Portugese]
Birth of Symbolic Thought
- Article by Licia Filingeri discussing the emergence of the ability to symbolize.
- An article that describes using anthropological data for advertising commercial products.
Carpe Noctem - Seize the Night
- Offers a common connection between conspiracy theories, serial killers, Mafia, hauntings, and military leaders, with biographies and articles exploring the science of fear and the irrational.
Center for Cross-Cultural Research
- Dedicated to fostering and disseminating comparative research. Features news, staff profiles, events and contacts at the Australian National University.
Critical Theory and Cultural Studies
- "Cultural studies draws from the fields of anthropology, sociology, gender studies, feminism, literary criticism, history and psychoanalysis in order to discuss contemporary texts and cultural practices."
Cross-Culture Theory Test
- Features software and data for comparative ethnographic analysis.
- A subfield of psychological anthropology concerned with observing human behavior in contrasting cultures.
- An essay by Thomas Hylland Eriksen that critically examines the metaphors which have underlied anthropological theory and research.
Culture and Developmental Subjectivities
- An article that describes how anthropologists and historians have attempted to understand and explore the cultural and textual sources of sexual analysis from a holistic perspective.
Culture by Commotion Trilogy
- Online version of the series of books that include: Plenitude, Transformation, Commotion. The series offers an anthropological account of modern life by Grant McCracken.
Cultures Observations Database
- Open content project collecting observations made by travelers on behavior in other cultures. Features project description, technical details, and contacts.
Growing up Sexually
- Encyclopedia features cross-cultural information on sexual behavior development. Offers researchers the opportunity to participate in the project and bibliography.
Hip Hop Barbers
- Research into the influence of popular culture on the decoration of barber shops in Arusha, Tanzania by Brad Weiss, of the College of William and Mary. Features photos with brief captions.
- Donald Brown discusses those features of culture for which there are no known exceptions to their existence in all ethnographically or historically recorded human societies.
- Research in architecture on the phenomenology of space of O. F. Bollnow. [in English, French and German].
Introduction: Everyday Life
- An article that discusses how anthropology brings to light many similarities between ancient and modern cultures, particularly in customs surrounding food.
Kinship Glossary: Symbols, Term, and Concepts
- Definitions of basic terminology and list of common abbreviations.
Kinship and Social Organization
- Hypertext tutorial covering descent, kinship terminology, marriage systems, and residence rules. Includes ethnographic examples.
Radical Anthropology Group
- Features mission statement, group member profiles and journal.
- An article that describes how some forager groups may nurture a sharing sense in their offspring.
Silence, AIDS and Sexual Culture in Africa
- An article describing social factors in the AIDS epidemic in Africa.
Slovenian Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology
- A portal dedicated to preserving national traditions and promoting research. Offers photos, articles, and fieldwork reports, as well as a calendar of local events.
Social and Cultural Evolution
- A directory of links to research papers that discuss general theoretical approaches and models of culture change.
- A site that explores the relationship between symbols and a society's cognitive structure, rules of moral conduct and patterns of social interactions.
The Aesthetic Realism of Eli Siegel
- Essays in cultural anthropology on the philosophy of Aesthetic Realism.
The Third Culture
- A directory of links and resources for understanding cultural ecology.
Theory in Anthropology
- Descriptions of various subdisciplines of sociocultural anthropology, reviews of trends in anthropological publications, and biographies of some influential anthropologists.
Womanist Epistemology and a New Anthropological Paradigm
- African American women's experiences of oppression and marginalization have led them to espouse a religious framework that would give them the regard society has deprived them.
World Food Habits Bibliography
- Bibliographies sorted by region and topic prepared by Robert Dirks.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:44:20 AM EST -