become an editor
the entire directory
only in Relativity/Experiment_and_Observation
Experiment and Observation
Eotvos and Novel Equivalence Principle Test
- Describes proposed experiments to test whether the equivalence principle is violated when test masses of different chirality are used (parity violation). By Alan M. ("Uncle Al") Schwartz.
Experimental Basis of Special Relativity
- A summary of tests of the foundations and predictions of special relativity, by Tom Roberts, Siegmar Schleif and others. Part of the Physics FAQ.
Experimental Tests of Relativistic Gravity
- Slides and audio for a talk given by Thibault Damour (IHES) at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics (UCSB); information about the Parametrized Post-Newtonian Formalism, classical tests, and recent as well as future satellite tests of general relativity.
General Relativity in the Global Positioning System
- Brief text by Neil Ashby (University of Colorado) about the influence of relativistic effects on the satellite navigation system GPS; from the "Matters of Gravity" newsletter.
Gravity Probe B
- Gravity Probe B is the relativity gyroscope experiment being developed by NASA and Stanford University to test two extraordinary, unverified predictions of Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity.
Principles of Equivalence: Their Role in Gravitation Physics and Experiments that Test Them
- Article by Mark P. Haugan and Claus Lämmerzahl about the different versions of the equivalence principle (one of the basic assumptions that led to general relativity) and the various experiments that have been performed to test it, as well as those that are planned for the future.
Shapiro Radar Bounce Test
- A two part overview of the Shapiro radar bounce test of general relativity. (The two parts consist of a section for normal people, and one for nerds)
Testing General Relativity with Pulsar Timing
- Article by Ingrid H. Stairs (University of British Columbia) published in Living Reviews of Relativity about how pulsar timing methods can be used to test different predictions of general relativity for the propagation of light, gravitational time dilation and the emission of gravitational waves.
Relativity in the Global Positioning System
- Thorough review article by Neil Ashby (University of Colorado) about the various relativistic effects that play a role in the operation of the Global Positioning System and other satellite navigation systems. Published in Living Reviews in Relativity. (June 21, 2007)
The Equivalence Principle
- Article from NASA about the equivalence principle (which was one of the basic axioms used to develop general relativity) and various experiments that have been and will be undertaken to test its validity. (May 18, 2007)
BBC News: Einstein was Right, Probe Shows
- Early results from a mission to test two key predictions of Albert Einstein show he was right about at least one. (April 16, 2007)
The Confrontation between General Relativity and Experiment
- Review article by Clifford Will, published in Living Reviews in Relativity. Gives a complete survey of tests of general relativity using laboratory experiments and astronomical observations. (March 27, 2006)
Relativity at the Centenary
- Article by Clifford Will in Physics World about the way that gravitational physics has become a truly experimental science as tests of the special and general theories of relativity reach new levels of precision. (January 05, 2005)
Experiment and Observation
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: January 8, 2015 at 8:54:07 UTC -