become an editor
the entire directory
only in Recreations/Tessellations
Open Directory - Science: Math: Recreations: Tessellations
Arts: Art History: Artists: E: Escher, M. C.
Science: Math: Geometry
Science: Math: Geometry: Polytopes
The 14 Different Types of Convex Pentagons that Tile the Plane
- Graphics and references.
17 Wall Paper Symmetry Groups to Create a Regular Division of the Plane
- Adobe Illustrator plug-in that automates creation of surface designs and ornaments based on seventeen wallpaper groups. On-line purchase.
Catalogue of Isohedral Tilings
- From the article "One Corona is Enough for the Euclidean Plane" by Doris Schattschneider and Nikolai Dolbilin.
- This chaotic tiling consists of two equilateral pentagons, with angles (80, 160, 60, 140, 100) and (40, 200, 60, 100, 140). Sets are for sale.
- Compiled by Yoshiaki Araki.
Escher Web Sketch
- Java applet drawing repeated patterns with selected symmetry.
- Definitions and images.
The Geometry Junkyard: Tilings
- A collection of links.
- Andrew Crompton's tiling and tessellation images.
- Hans Kuiper's work. Tessellations and optical art. Also tessellation software with the 17 wallpaper groups.
Hop's Escher Tessellation Tiles
- Escher-like tessellations.
- Explanations and graphics.
Investigating Patterns: Symmetry and Tessellations
- Links to activities and other resources.
- A program for drawing symmetrical patterns based on any of the 17 wallpaper groups, as well as several frieze and rosette groups.
- Software for Macintosh and SGI to create and manipulate tessellations of the sphere, Euclidean plane and hyperbolic plane, and to see how the Platonic solids are related to tessellations.
- The graphic work of Chaim Goodman-Strauss, Arkansas.
- Links in the Geometry Junkyard.
The Penrose Tiling at Miami University
- A summary of the history behind the Penrose tiling in the math department at Miami university.
Pentagons that Tile the Plane
- Known solutions and a new recipe.
- Artist Eleni Mylonas uses tilings.
References about Tessellations
- Compiled by Doris Schattschneider, Moravian College.
SingSurf: Wallpaper Patterns
- A Java applet which shows interactive wallpaper patterns.
Squared Squares and Squared Rectangles
Symmetry and Pattern: The Art of Oriental Carpets
- Resources compiled by the Math Forum.
Symmetry and the Shape of Space
- With interactive demos using Geometer's Sketchpad (requires Macintosh).
- Tessellation software. 11 rosette, all 7 frieze and all 17 wallpaper groups included.
Tessellated, Interlocking Concrete Pavers and Molds
- Pictures of some concrete tilings.
- Compiled by Suzanne Alejandre for the Math Forum.
Tessellation Tutorials by Suzanne Alejandre
- Tutorials and templates for making tessellations using ClarisWorks, the Geometer's Sketchpad, HyperCard, HyperStudio, and straightedge and compass, including step-by-step instructions for classroom activities.
Tessellations Using Geometer's Sketchpad
- Description of a class project.
Tessellations with Java
- Examples and source code.
Tilings and Geometric Ornament
- Applying principles of computer graphics to the creation of geometric ornament, as a continuation of the tradition of ornamental design using modern tools and algorithms.
- An introduction to tessellations explaining the basic underlying mathematics, and with many examples from real life.
- Images and descriptions of the 17 plane symmetry groups.
William's Geometric Construction Page
- Activities to create patterns using simple resources, such as making equilateral triangle from a circle. Suitable for upper primary and lower secondary ages.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 2013 Netscape
Visit our sister sites
Last update: Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:24:07 AM EST -