the entire directory
only in Math/History
Logic and Foundations
Kids and Teens: School Time: Math: History
Science: Physics: History
Society: History: By Topic: Science
This category in other languages:
MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive
- Topics are presented by topic areas, date, or mathematicians. Includes timeline and website search engine.
Ancient Math Papers Restored
- Thanks to new imaging technology, part of the remains of a private library, owned by Roman statesman and Julius Caesar's father-in-law, may now be read. These papers were original discovered in 1752 in the town of Herculaneum.
The Art of Renaissance Science
- Discusses how art and architecture were influenced by mathematical concepts, such as perspective. Includes photo examples.
A Brief History of Computing
- A complete timeline by Oxford professor, Jonathan Bowen. Discusses origins in ancient Greece, Arabia and England, analytical machines, boolean algebra and recent developments in the field.
Earliest Known Uses of Some of the Words of Mathematics
- Shows who coined a wide variety of commonly used terms. Organized by first letter.
Earliest Uses of Mathematical Symbols
- Discusses first known appearances of common expressions, such as operations, variables and trigonometric functions.
The Euler 2004 Conference
- Portsmouth, RI, USA; 8--11 August 2004.
Galois Translation Project (GTP)
- This Site contains original correspondence, official documents and school reports of the mathematician Evariste Galois. This site provides a platform to translate these documents.
Glimpses of History
- A poetic rendition of the key events in the development of the field that have taken place over the years.
Green Lion Press
- An independent book publisher specializing in source materials history of mathematics and history of science. Includes list of publications available and contact information.
- Elsevier journal about early mathematical discoveries. Includes table of contents and abstracts.
History and Overview
- Front for the Mathematics Arxiv of eprints section HO: biographies, philosophy of mathematics, mathematics education, recreational mathematics, communication of mathematics.
History of Mathematics.
- Includes classic texts by Hilbert and Euclid (a Java enhanced version of the Elements) a chronology, and links.
History of Mathematics: China
- An overview. Includes a chronology of mathematicians and mathematical works, online references and a bibliography
The History of the Calculus and the Development of Computer Algebra Systems
- Discusses development of integral and derivative calculus from the 17th century. Features contributions by key western mathematicians. Includes examples of selected problems and how they were originally solved in earlier times. Also, covers the historic background to computer algebraic systems.
History Topics: Index of Ancient Indian Mathematics
- Includes an overview and history of Indian numerals, the Indian Sulbasutras, Jaina mathematics, the Bakhshali manuscript, pi and zero, along with biographical details of ancient Indian mathematicians.
India's Contribution to Ancient Mathematics
- Discusses the nation's early development of geometric concepts, algorithms, algebraic ideas and the idea of zero. Also, explains how these ideas may have traveled westward after some invasions from Arabic countries in the 13th century.
Mathematics in Latvia throughout the Centuries
- Covers the early mathematical development in the country, such as the use of geometrical symbols. Includes discussion of influential works of local mathematicians.
- Descriptions and links relating to various historical problems and topics in mathematics.
Mechanical Aids to Computation and the Development of Algorithms
- Article summarizing and illustrating early methods of counting and representing of numbers.
Mechanical Calculators Prior to the 19th Century
- Explains the development and motivation for creating calculating machines and algorithms.
Mesopotamian Mathematics - 8000 B.C. to 364 A.D.
- Discusses the development of numbers, addition tables, exercise problems and solutions for quadratic equations in one of oldest known civilizations.
Sketches of a History of Hypercomplex Numbers
- Detailed timeline of the development of hypercomplex numbers, from early discoveries of complex numbers to modern developments. Includes links to biographies and complete bibliography.
Symbol, Form and Number in Ancient Egypt
- Includes math examples from the Rhind papyrus and Babylonian tablets. Also, discusses early Egyptian mythology.
Vatican Exhibit: Ancient Mathematics
- Library of Congress. Includes articles and original document images of early Greek contributions to the field.
Washington Post: The Search for Infinity
- Discusses the development of the concept of infinity from the early Greeks of the fifth to the second century B.C. Covers the important findings of Zenos, the Pythagorean school, Eudoxus and Archimedes.
Twenty-Five Years with Nicolas Bourbaki
- Article by Armand Borel from a lecture at Bochum in September 1996 in honour of R.Remmert. (March 01, 1998)
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: July 1, 2014 at 5:54:07 UTC -