become an editor
the entire directory
only in Sustainability/Community_Sustainability
Growth and Sprawl Debate
Science: Social Sciences: Urban and Regional Planning
Science: Technology: Energy: Transportation
Center for Economic and Environmental Development
- Describes several projects to support sustainable development and improve community and regional leaders` understanding of how economic and environmental decisions can work hand in hand to bring a new vitality to Northwest Pennsylvania.
Center for Neighborhood Technology (Chicago)
- Creative strategies for making cities and their surrounding areas work for everyone, environmentally and economically.
Chelsea Green's Books for Sustainable Living
- Chelsea Green publishes information to help design future lives where human activities of production and consumption are balanced in harmony with the natural state of the world.
City Repair Project (The)
- Citizen activists educating and inspiring people to build a more community-oriented and ecologically sustainable society. (Portland, Oregon)
- Criterion is an urban planning firm specializing in sustainable community development.
Ecocity of Malmö
- Describes the transformation of Malmö, Sweden, into sustainability, including details of building design and about management of traffic, rainwater, and waste.
- EcoIQ magazine and links to a large collection of Internet resources related to sustainable communities.
- South African consultants and advisors in the field of sustainable community and rural development describe their capabilities and discuss topics such as permaculture and handling issues of rapid urbanization through waste management, recycling, and incineration.
Energy for São Tomé
- Project to demonstrate how sustainability and renewable energy sources could benefit a rural area of Africa. Includes information and videos on the workshops where the systems have been designed and tested.
- Project dedicated to the improvement of the social, economic and environmental aspects of schools. Includes information on assessing the present position and deciding how to improve it.
European Community: Energy: Sustainable Communities
- Climate change is a global issue but some actions to combat it fall within the scope of local government's competencies. This site explains how local citizens and stakeholders can share the commitments of the EU in the fight against climate change.
Five E's Unlimited
- Consulting firm that specializes in environmental sustainability, strengthened economies, and social equity, Based in Virginia.
Green Map System
- Project to promote healthy cities and sustainable communities by developing maps to chart the sites of environmental significance in urban places around the world. Includes examples.
Guide to Implementing Local Environmental Action Plans in Central and Eastern Europe
- Explores planning process for community sustainability, including how to assess environmental issues and set environmental priorities; as well as how to implement selected actions and monitor and evaluate results.
Indicators of Sustainability
- develops indicators that measure progress toward a sustainable economy,society and environment.
International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development
- ICIMOD is committed to economically and environmentally sound mountain development and improving the living standards of mountain communities in the Hindu Kush-Himalayas.
International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI)
- International clearinghouse on sustainable development and environmental protection policies, programs, and techniques being implemented at the local level by local institutions. Resources and links on Local Agenda 21, Green Fleets, environmental budgeting, other topics.
Linking Sustainable Community Activities to Pollution Prevention: A Sourcebook
- Online report of RAND study (1997). Includes case studies and extensive bibliography.
LV Ranch Estates
- Development of communities with gated entries, paved roads, individual wells, underground electric, and wireless phone and internet. Includes FAQ.
Planning Workshop Ireland
- Town planning consultants, sustainable design and technology experts and architectural designers based in Galway.
Post Carbon Cities: Planning for Energy and Climate Uncertainty
- Promotes a book of this title by Daniel Lerch and provides background resources for local governments and planners.
Smart Communities Network
- Resources on the concept of sustainable development, including overview articles, slide shows, links, recommended books and videos, and educational materials and programs that can help communities in their sustainable development efforts.
Smart Growth Network
- Searchable databases of information resources on smart growth case studies, smart building design, smart development design and zoning, brownfields redevelopment and eco-industrial parks; and related topics.
- Offers news and short videos that promote people-friendly urban design.
SusHI: Sustainability in Hawaii
- Blog with the latest science and best practices in sustainability from a Hawaiian island perspective.
- An award-winning strategic management consultancy and think-tank. Founded in 1987, Sustainability Ltd. is the longest established international consultancy dedicated to promoting the business case for sustainable development. The three main areas of operation: foresight, agenda-setting and change management.
The Sustainability Report
- Provides Canada's first independent assessment of living in balance for the long term to help Canadians understand if current lifestyle and development choices are improving or threatening prospects for a healthy and successful society.
Sustainable Communities Network
- Connects citizens with resources to implement innovative processes and programs to restore the economic, environmental, and social health and vitality of their communities.
TEPUI: Sustainability Strategies & Design
- International working collaborative providing sustainability consultancy and strategies for local authorities and organisations, focusing on the creation of more sustainable cities and communities.
U.S. EPA: Green Communities
- The Green Communities Assistance Kit that you will find here is packaged as a step-by-step guide for planning and implementing sustainable actions. Each of the five steps results in a specific outcome.
University of Arkansas: Community Design Center
- Aims to advance creative development in the state through education, research and design solutions that improve and make sustainable the physical environment.
Urban Environmental Management
- Output of the Urban Environmental Management Research Initiative (UEMRI), a grouping of urban planning researchers from around the world. Looks at urban areas as the intersection of natural, built, and socio-economic environments.
- Provides a collection of photographs of urban squares from around the world and the activities taking place there. The object is to explore visual and artistic aspects of the squares and research the uses of urban space.
Village Habitat Design
- Village Habitat Design, LLC is an award-winning architecture and planning firm with a 30 year family history of conservation design.
- Blog promoting walkable areas in US cities through presentations and various forms of media, and helping site visitors relocate to these types of communities.
Usenet misc.activism.progressive -
Usenet sci.environment -
Usenet talk.environment -
Usenet uk.environment -
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: April 15, 2015 at 15:45:06 UTC -