become an editor
the entire directory
only in Environment/Forests_and_Rainforests
Forests and Rainforests
Forestry Research Centres
Business: Agriculture and Forestry: Forestry
Home: Gardening: Plants: Trees
Science: Agriculture: Forestry
Science: Biology: Botany: Dendrology
Science: Environment: Biodiversity
- Information about this rainforest, its people, places of interest, and how everyone can help maintain it.
Ancient Forest Exploration and Research
- Information and research about Ontario's remaining old-growth forest ecosystems, including where to see them and how to help conserve them.
- Multi-disciplinary project sponsored by the European Community which aims to investigate and document the future of the peoples of the rainforest. Involves over 30 researchers in the Caribbean, central Africa and the southwestern Pacific. Site is for the use of anthropologists and others to promote wider access to information concerning the earth's rainforests and its people.
Be Woods Wise! - The Maine Forest Service
- The Maine Forest Service, shares your vision for beautiful, healthy and productive woodland. We respect your decisions, and can help put your decisions into action.
The Beech Scheme
- Provides material that largely supports a proposal to sustainably manage beech forests on 0.1 million hectares in New Zealand.
The Bioesfera Project
- About the First Spanish-Tropical Forest Biology-Archeology Workshop, in Guatemala in 1995. Site has information about rainforests and interactions of culture and environment.
- A German-supported (mega)transect study of the Biodiversity of West Africa (Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Benin), East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda), and Southern Africa (Namibia and South Africa).
Bois et forets des tropiques
- Scientific review disseminating knowledge on tropical forest in French, English and Spanish.
British Columbia Ministry of Forests
- An official government site about forest policy in British Columbia. Site also includes facts and data.
- Guide to the native trees of Britain, plus links to other web resources on forestry and conservation of British Native trees, including forest conservation organizations.
The Centre for Agricultural Research in Suriname
- Brief information on the CELOS Forest Management System, Wood technology research and Forest Classification; based in Suriname.
- Guide to the Daintree region of Tropical North Queensland, Australia. Covers threats, ecological and Aboriginal history, flora and fauna, climate and news.
Decoding the Silent Lyrics of Rain Forests
- The "Tree of Life" shows that animals and plants have a common primordial ancestor. A Nigerian scientist, Philip Emeagwali, argues that the rain forests are the untapped technological gold mines of the 21st century.
East-West Forestry Associates, Inc.
- California forest inventory data, GIS.
Ecological restoration of Scottish Wildwood
- Carrifran Wildwood Project-begun on January 1st, 2000- is recreating an ancient woodland in 1600 acres of Southern Scottish upland valley
Economics of Forest Protection and Management
- Find out about the economics of forests in the Southern U.S. and beyond, including measuring the sustainability of forestry, valuing nonmarket benefits, estimating the response of landowners to policy and incentive programs, projecting future timber supplies, modeling land use changes and forest fragmentation, and the understanding the potentials of ecotourism and agroforestry.
European Tropical Forest Research Network
- Fosters research and public education. Features list of projects, information on workshops, funding opportunities and contacts.
FAO Forestry Department
- United Nations, Forests and forestry global portal.
Focus on Forests
- Describes issues facing forests today. Aimed at 11-14 year olds studying for Keystage 3.
Forest & Environment Forum
- Bulletin Board on Forestry and the Environment. Forums on Environment, Land Use, Technology, Forestry, Funding, Research, Deforestation, policy, Economics, Poverty, Modeling, News ,Books, etc..
Forestry in the Appalachian Hardwoods of Kentucky
- Information about forestry practice and forest conservation in this US state. Includes a sample timber cruise report, forest management workshop manual and measurements, state forest history, and ecology links.
- Contributes to the debate about sustainable forest management by collating and disseminating information on companies operating in the forestry sector around the world.
- Information about rainforest reserves in Ecuador.
Guyana Forestry Commission
- Contains reports on certification, sustainable forest management, silviculture, zoning, mangroves and social aspects of forestry based on the Guyana experience.
International Union of Forestry Research Organizations
- IUFRO Vienna Office site. IUFRO is a non-profit, non-governmental international network of forest scientists. Its objectives are to promote international cooperation in forestry and forest products research.
- Research in sustainable management, ecology and conservation of the Atlantic Brazilian Rainforest.
- Educational site with a wide range of Amazon rainforest information and hundreds of photos: animals, plants, native people, scenery, space images, conservation, travel, art, related links, news updates.
Las Nubes Neotropical Research Center
- Las Nubes Neotropical Research and Conservation Center is located in southern Costa Rica. It is a joint project of the Faculty of Environmental Studies of York University in Toronto and the Tropical Science Center in San Jose. Its objectives are biodiversity protection, local community development, and environmental education.
Mamirau Sustainable Development Reserve
- The Mamirau Project in Brazil, a non-profit NGO combining research and sustainable development.
The Native Forests of New Zealand
- Learn about the various types and distinctive character of native forests in New Zealand; their unbroken lineage to the ancient forests of Gondwana and the impact of human activity on these forests. Includes images, references, links and books.
New Forest Life Project
- Restoring Europe's ancient woods, heaths, wetlands and associated wildlife. Project based in the New Forest, Hampshire England.
Non-timber Forest Products, Scotland
- Site promoting the sustainable development and enjoyment of NTFPs, including databases of businesses and information resources.
Parataxonomist Training Center
- Research on insects and their relationship to plants of the rainforests of Papua New Guinea.
Pax Natura a Costa Rica Rainforest
- A private rainforest preserve in Costa Rica.
PEFC - Pan European Forest Council
- Promotes an internationally credible framework for forest certification schemes and initiatives in European countries.
Plant-It 2020 Foundation
- Founded by singer John Denver, Plant-It 2000 is a nonprofit foundation dedicated to properly planting, maintaining and protecting as many indigenous trees as possible worldwide.
The Rainforest Site
- Protect a piece of Rain Forest for free.
- Resource database of rainforest plants including medicinal properties, preservation options, articles, and clinical trial data.
Royal Forestry Society of England, Wales and Northern Ireland
- The Royal Forestry Society is based in the UK and caters for all who care about forestry, forests, woodlands and trees, their husbandry and their future.
- This English language site gives an overview of Russian forests, and the threats facing them. 22% of the world's forests are in Russia.
Seek the Rainforest Path
- Educational site explaining that rainforests are the lungs of the world and are being destroyed at an alarming rate, and asking what we can do about it.
Southern Forest Resource Assessment
- A multi-agency evaluation of the status of forest resources of the southern U.S., their productivity, ecological diversity and sustainability. Led by the USDA Forest Service.
- Information on conservation and the ethnographic and social features of the Sundarbans virgin forest region, Bangladesh.
Sustainable Beech Forestry -- Maruia Forest
- Describes the controversy about conservation-enhancing sustainable forest management in the beech and rimu forests of West Coast New Zealand. Contains prime scientific papers, letters to politicians, Press Releases, links to other sites.
Tirimbina Rainforest Center
- Biological reserve, visitor facilities and lodge offering tropical science education, founded by the Milwaukee Public Museum. Also includes photo gallery.
Trees for Life
- A Scottish conservation charity dedicated to the regeneration and restoration of the Caledonian Forest in the Highlands of Scotland
Trees for the Future
- International tree planting project, working through education around the world.
Trees, Climate and People
- Blog discussing tree biology and plant science in a human-dominated world.
- Tropical forest research for nature conservation and sustainable use of rain forests in Cameroon, Colombia, Guyana, Ghana, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Vietnam.
Tropenbos International; Tropical forest research
- Tropical forest research for nature conservation and sustainable use of rain forests in Cameroon, Colombia, Guyana, Ghana, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Vietnam
U.S. Non Timber Forest Product Website
- Conservation and development information on commercial, recreational, and subsistence extraction of non-timber forest products (NTFP) in the United States with regards to cultural, ecological, economic, geographic, and political considerations.
Virtual Tree Guide of the Guianas
- An online resource for identification of specimens of tree species of the Guianas that are considered to be able to reach sizes over 10 cm DBH. Contains over 4000 specimens digitized at the Utrecht Herbarium and organised by genus and family (under APG-1 classification).
Wood Consumption and Resource Conservation Alliance
- This is a clearinghouse for techniques to reduce wood consumption and alternatives to virgin forest products, such as recycled, kenaf, hemp, agricultural residues and other biobased products.
World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF)
- An international consortium of governments, private foundations, and development banks created to develop a network of harvest centers in the developing world. Purpose of group is to help restore soil fertility, create commercial cultivation, use trees to enhance the environment and support research in this area. Page gives news and list of projects.
World Resource Institute- Forest Frontiers Initiative
- FFI is a five year, multi-disciplinary effort to promote stewardship in and around the world's last major frontier forests by influencing investment, policy, and public opinion.
WWF - Global Forest and Trade Network
- The Network is committed to producing and purchasing forest products from well-managed forests and to supporting independent certification.
Forests and Rainforests
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: February 13, 2015 at 7:24:04 UTC -