become an editor
the entire directory
only in Climate_Change/Impacts_and_Indicators
Impacts and Indicators
Science: Earth Sciences: Atmospheric Sciences: Meteorology: Weather Phenomena
Science: Environment: Biodiversity
Society: Issues: Environment
BASC - Understanding Climate Change Feedbacks
- Examines processes in the climate system that can either amplify or damp the response to changes forced by external factors. An e-book version of the publication from the Board of Atmospheric Sciences and Climate (BASC), produced by the National Academies Press.
Effects of Climate Change on Protected Areas
- WWF paper that examines recent research and provides evidence that the types of environmental changes predicted in climatic models are now taking place. Studies the implications to habitats, ecosystems, species, and local food webs, in areas that are rooted in the concept of permanence. [PDF]
Global Warming and Hurricanes
- Examines the likely changes in worldwide hurricane activity in the 21st century. Includes graphs and diagrams, links to theoretical papers, and a research report.
Global Warming: Early Warning Signs
- Map illustrates fingerprints and harbingers including observed consequences as indicated by periods of unusually warm weather, coastal flooding, and changes in glaciers and polar regions.
Gulf Stream Shutdown
- Abrupt climate change, global warming and the environment. If the Gulf Stream slows down or stops, what could be the effects? Websites, articles, books and forums.
Habitat: Climate Change
- An overview of the growing evidence of the sensitivity and vulnerability of natural and human systems, including brief descriptions of threats encountered by specific species: golden toad, western toad, salmon and trout, polar bears, arctic fox, chinstrap and adelie penguins, gray wolves, painted turtles, and tree swallows.
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) - Working Group 1 : The Scientific Basis of Climate Change
- Analyses a body of observations of all parts of the climate system; catalogues increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases; assesses the processes and feedbacks which govern the climate system.
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) - Working Group 2 : Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability
- Assesses the scientific, technical, environmental, economic and social aspects of climate change. Includes assessment report, publications and schedule of meetings.
Methane Clathrate Outgassing and Anoxic Expansion in Southeast Asian Deeps Due to Global Warming
- Paper by Pat Wilde and Mary Quinby-Hunt asserting that the warming of southeast Asian oceans could release colossal burst of greenhouse gases.
Science Daily: Earth and Climate News
- A daily news update of the latest research into climate change. Includes links to archived articles about ecology and environmental science.
Temperature Trends: Atmospheric (Satellite MSU - RSS)
- One of two conflicting analyses of atmospheric temperatures derived from satellite observations. Browse images and download data. From Remote Sensing Systems, in collaboration with the NOAA Air Resources Laboratory.
Temperature Trends: Surface (CRU)
- Land and sea surface temperature anomalies, analysed by the Climate Research Unit, Norwich, UK. Includes scientific papers, dataset terminology, file formats, data for downloading, answers to frequently asked questions, and links to related web sites, grids, and datasets.
Temperature Trends: Surface (GISS)
- Global Historical Climate Network data, analysed by NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies. Includes background information, table data, individual station data, graphs, maps, animations, and references.
Tropical Cyclones and Global Climate Change
- A Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. Examines the natural variability, possible trends, frequency, and intensity of severe weather activity in tropical coastal regions, and explores the potential for change in greenhouse conditions.
World View of Global Warming
- Photographic documentation of climate change around the world. Focuses on effects such as shrinking glaciers, coral bleaching, insect and animal range changes, phenology, and rising sea level.
Climate Change Threatens a Million Species with Extinction
- Detailed press release reporting a study of biodiversity-rich regions. Computer models project the future movements and distributions of many species of plants, birds, animals, and insects, in response to changing conditions. From the School of Biology, University of Leeds. (January 07, 2004)
Climate Change Linked to Civilization Collapse
- National Geographic News story about the hypothesis that past climate variations led to the collapse of civilizations, with speculation on the implications for our society's future. (February 27, 2001)
Impacts and Indicators
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: May 20, 2016 at 11:54:04 UTC -