become an editor
the entire directory
only in Biodiversity/Agricultural
Domestic Animal Diversity
Ex Situ Genebanks
On-Farm Crop Diversity
Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture
Intellectual Property Rights
Science: Agriculture: Practices and Systems
Science: Environment: Agriculture
Society: Issues: Science and Technology: Biotechnology
Society: Philosophy: Ethics: Applied: Bioethics: Genetic Engineering
Agricultural Biodiversity for Food Sovereignty and Food Security
- UK Agricultural Biodiversity Coalition (UKabc) website. Comprehensive coverage of many issues concerning agricultural biodiversity's sustainable and equitable use, conservation, development, intellectual property, genetic engineering and governance. CSO resource on the International Seed Treaty (IT PGRFA).
Agricultural Biodiversity under the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD)
- Background, links and documentation on Agricultural Biodiversity with links to relevant CBD Decisions III/11, IV/6, V/5, VI/5 + VI/6 (on the International Seed Treaty), VII/3, VIII/23, IX/1, X/34.
Agricultural Biodiversity under the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- Provides full access to all relevant FAO documents on the conservation and sustainable use of Biological Diversity for Food and Agriculture - genetic, species and ecosystems: programmes, plans, treaties, conventions.
Agricultural Biodiversity Weblog
- Collection of information collected from the internet that relates to agricultural biodiversity of crops, animals, wild relatives.
Biodiverse Agriculture for a Changing Climate
- Briefing summarising solutions to climate change challenges through using more biodiverse, ecological approaches to food provision. Links to further papers on climate change adaptation and mitigation through agriculture.
Biodiversity for Food and Nutrition
- Comprehensive web resources on the central importance of agricultural biodiversity to food and nutrition, with links to many relevant books, papers, videos, slides and images and websites. This is part of a UNEP/FAO/GEF project operating in four countries: Brazil, Kenya, Sri Lanka and Turkey and managed by Bioversity International.
CBD Alliance briefing: Agricultural biodiversity feeds the world!
- CBD Alliance briefing on key issues concerning the conservation and sustainable use of agricultural biodiversity. Prepared for the 10th Conference of the Parties of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), Nagoya, October 2010. More briefings at cbdalliance.org
CGIAR Agricultural Biodiversity Centre
- Bioversity International, formerly IPGRI, the International Plant Genetic Resources Institute, is the CGIAR international agricultural research centre mandated to work on the conservation and sustainable use of agricultural biodiversity. Website covers all practical and policy aspects - many downloadable publications.
Commission on Environmental, Economic and Social Policy (CEESP)
- Website of IUCN's Commission with four Working Groups. This group on Sustainable Livelihoods covers community-based, equitable and sustainable management of natural resources, especially agricultural biodiversity. Site provides information on strategy, project reports, publications, links to community and partners' activities.
- International program bringing together biological, ecological and social scientists to consider how biodiversity evolved in space and time, how much diversity exists and how scientific investigation can support policy and decision making.
ETC Group (formerly RAFI)
- Action group on Erosion, Technology and Concentration. Very relevant site of influential CSO, which contains full texts of key papers, commentaries, cartoons on issues of governance and use of agricultural biodiversity, biotechnology, genomics, nanotechnology, synthetic biology, geoengineering and other emerging technologies.
FAO Soil Biodiversity Portal
- Includes a framework under which soil biodiversity can be assessed, managed and conserved with pointers to research, capacity building and policy and programme development needs. Case studies and full information.
Global Soil Biodiversity Initiative
- Provides links to expert knowledge, science and events on soil biodiversity and its relation to environmental policy and sustainable land management for the protection and enhancement of ecosystems.
- An international non-governmental organisation, which promotes the sustainable management and use of agricultural biodiversity based on people's control over genetic resources and local knowledge. Relevant, current information includes Seedling magazine, BIO-IPR listserve and regular Briefings on key issues; links to Growing Diversity project. [English, French and Spanish]
Human Nature: Agricultural Biodiversity and Farm-Based Food Security
- This 1996 book provides a comprehensive introduction to agricultural biodiversity, with chapters on each major sector: crop genetic resources, farm animal diversity, fish and aquatic life, forests, soil biodiversity and microbial genetic resources. Concludes with discussion of policy issues. [pdf]
Improving nutrition with agricultural biodiversity
- This guide provides a toolkit for assessing local farming systems, agricultural biodiversity and household food and nutrition for which it applies a food systems approach to intervention strategies.
Living Farms - Food Sovereignty through Sustainable Agriculture
- Reports about efforts to re-establish local control over food and farming systems through the conservation, renewal and rejuvenation of biodiversity by means of sustainable agriculture and natural resource management. Website contains papers, case studies, links
Managing Biodiversity in Agricultural Ecosystems
- Book that describes how farmers manage agricultural biodiversity to enhance the stability, resilience, and productivity of their farms: important for food production, global biodiversity and impacts of climate change.
Monitoring Institute for Rare Breeds and Seeds in Europe
- Research into agricultural biodiversity of extinct and live populations of rare breeds and cultivated plants. Find descriptions of projects, publications, contacts and links. In English and German.
Navdanya: Research Foundation for Science,Technology and Ecology, India
- Site provides information on agricultural biodiversity conservation and protection of people's rights, livelihoods and environment from centralised systems of monoculture in forestry, agriculture and fisheries. Links to many Indian and global movements. Navdanya is a program of the Research Foundation for Science, Technology and Ecology (RFSTE) set up by Vandana Shiva.
People, Land Management and Environmental Change (PLEC)
- Valuable archive of resources concerning models of locally developed management practices that combine traditional knowledge and approaches with new knowledge and technologies; and embrace ecosystem functions and processes for enhancing livelihoods, principally through optimal degree of structural, spatial, temporal, trophic, species and genetic diversity.
Platform for Agrobiodiversity Research (PAR)
- As an outcome of an International Workshop "Managing Agricultural Biodiversity for Sustainable Development" held in Nairobi, Kenya, an agricultural biodiversity research platform was set up, with secretariat supplied by Bioversity International, Rome. Site provides current links, relevant papers and proposed programme of work including agricultural biodiversity and climate change.
- Website provides full documentation and reports on Raita Teerpu, a locally driven process for sustaining agricultural biodiversity, especially the dryland biodiversity and its associated knowledge in Deccan farming in India. The process is modelled on citizen juries – an example of Deliberative and Inclusive Processes [DIP] – important for farmer inclusion in agricultural research
Safeguard for Agricultural Varieties in Europe
- SAVE is a European umbrella organization for the promotion and coordination of activities for the conservation of endangered breeds of domestic animals and cultivated plant varieties in the form of live populations. Background to organisation, project reports and links to many European NGOs.
- This is an online portal on seeds, agricultural biodiversity and food. Through an interactive map it links to hundreds of case studies about agricultural biodiversity, its origins, threats, and development.
Supporting On-Farm Conservation in Eastern & Southern Africa
- Includes information and case studies on the institutional conditions for 'successful' interventions, defined in terms of biological as well as economic parameters, derived from this GTZ / ODI / Darwin initiative project with African partners.
Sustaining Agricultural Biodiversity
- Paper prepared for 2002 Forum for Food Sovereignty. Illustrates how food sovereignty and security, livelihoods, landscapes and environmental integrity are underpinned by agricultural biodiversity and its component genetic resources for food and agriculture. Summarises an Action Agenda to confront threats.
Sustaining Local Food Systems, Agricultural Biodiversity and Local Livelihoods
- An IIED programme identifying how decentralised governance, farmer participation and capacity building promote the adaptive management of agricultural biodiversity in the context of local food systems and livelihoods. Case studies in India, Indonesia, Iran, Peru. Packed with relevant publications and multimedia presentations.
Towards Food Sovereignty: Reclaiming Autonomous Food Systems
- This is an online book with linked video and audio files by farmers, indigenous peoples and consumers highlighting the importance of locally controlled food systems to sustain both people and nature. Describes the ecological basis of food and agriculture, the social and environmental costs of modern food systems, and the policy reversals needed to democratize food systems. [PDF]
UK Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture
- UK's Agricultural Biodiversity portal provides links to relevant databases and websites concerned with the conservation of, and benefit sharing related to the sustainable use of, genetic resources for food and agriculture.
Understanding Agricultural Biodiversity
- This first volume of the UPWARD three-volume publication is a global compilation by scientists, development specialists, academics, policy-makers and donors. Other volumes available from same site: Vol. 2: strengthening local management of agricultural biodiversity, and Vol. 3: ensuring an enabling environment for agricultural biodiversity. [PDF]
Who Owns Nature?
- This 100th issue of the ETC Communiqué updates Oligopoly, Inc. – the ongoing series tracking corporate concentration in the life industry. It analyses the past three decades of agribusiness efforts to monopolize the 24% of living nature that has been commodified, and exposes a new strategy to capture the remaining three-quarters that has, until now, remained beyond the market economy.
" search on:
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: April 6, 2015 at 7:58:23 UTC -