become an editor
the entire directory
only in Vertebrates/Early_Tetrapods
Open Directory - Science: Earth Sciences: Paleontology: Vertebrates: Early Tetrapods
The Devonian Period
The Mississippian Period
Science: Biology: Zoology: Chordates: Herpetology
- Information from Wikipedia on this extinct tetrapod genus, one of the first vertebrate animals to have recognizable limbs.
- A detailed analysis of this early tetrapod by Jennifer Clack, the paleontologist who discovered and described it.
Basal Tetrapod and Amphibian Trees
- A list of cladograms tested for their correspondence with stratigraphic data, with references.
- An early temnospondyl found in petrified tree stumps from Joggins, Nova Scotia.
Discovery of a Transitional in Romer's Gap
- Article on the discovery in 2002 of a tetrapod fossil, Pederpes finneyae, which seems to fill the gap between the very earliest and later tetrapods.
- Description of this early tetrapod, photograph of its fossil remains, and a reconstruction of its skeleton provided by the Tree of Life Web Project.
Evolution of Limbs
- A description of the possible effects of the Hox gene family on vertebrate evolution.
Fish to Amphibian
- This article discusses the evidence for the transition of certain fish into tetrapods and argues that things are not as clear-cut as they seem.
Fish With Fingers
- A description of Ted Daeschler and Neil Shubin's discovery of a transitional fish-tetrapod animal.
- A detailed description of the first Devonian tetrapod to be discovered.
- A description of the tetrapods and other digit bearing vertebrates.
Fossil Helps Document Shift from Sea to Land
- New fossils of an ancient, four-limbed creature, Ventastega curonica, help fill in the blanks of the evolutionary transition between fish and the first land-adapted vertebrates. (June 25, 2008)
Tiktaalik roseae: A Missing Link?
- The finding of a fossil of this species seems to close the gap between the fish Panderichthys and the tetrapod Acanthostega. This article summarises the scientific report that appeared in the journal, Nature. (April 06, 2006)
Creatures from the Black Lagoon
- Information from the BBC on the discovery of a fossil of Eucritta melanolimnetes in a limestone wall in Scotland and the ensuing discoveries in the Black Lagoon from which the stone had come. (December 21, 2000)
Neil and Ted's Excellent Adventure
- An article describing paleontologists Neil Shubin and Ted Daeschler and their search for early tetrapods, from Philadelphia Citypaper.net. (July 01, 1999)
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2014 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: August 11, 2012 at 12:45:04 UTC -