become an editor
the entire directory
only in Paleontology/Extinction
Science: Environment: Biodiversity
Science: Environment: Climate Change: Impacts and Indicators: Animals
Society: Future: Catastrophes
Animal Extinctions in the Fossil Record: A Developmental Paradigm
- Article by Vaclav Petr discussing the possible causes of extinctions.
The Cosmic Clock, the Cycle of Terrestrial Mass Extinctions
- Paper by J. A. Marusek. A dual cycle of extinction events is observed and well ordered in geological time. Two primary mechanisms, Oort cloud comet impacts and nearby supernova events are synchronized to the passage of the solar system through the spiral arms of the Milky Way galaxy. [PDF]
- A number of extinction concepts are discussed and loosely defined, followed by a survey of some important extinction and "extinction-like" events, primarily from the Phanerozoic.
Extinctions: Cycles of Life and Death Through Time
- Covers patterns and periodicity of extinction, with discussions of major mass extinctions and minor extinction events.
The Late Devonian Mass Extinction
- A professional technical paper discussing whether the Late Devonian (Frasnian-Famennian) mass extinction was initiated by an extraterrestrial impact or an earth-bound event. [PDF]
- Article on a paper by David Raup and John Sepkoski, two respected paleontologists, making the remarkable claim that great catastrophes occur on the Earth every 26 million years,
The Role of Extinction in Evolution
- Paper by David M Raup, Department of Geophysical Sciences, University of Chicago. [PDF]
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2016 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: March 9, 2013 at 9:24:08 UTC -