become an editor
the entire directory
only in Chemistry/History
Babcock, Stephen Moulton
Brønsted, Johannes Nicolaus
Corey, Elias James
Molina, Mario J.
Nirenberg, Marshall W.
Rowland, F. Sherwood
Seaborg, Glenn T.
Watson, James Dewey
Ørsted, Hans Christian
Science: Astronomy: History
Science: Chemistry: Education
Science: Chemistry: Nobel Prize in Chemistry: Nobel Laureates
Science: Math: History
Science: Physics: History
Society: History: By Topic: Science
Society: Philosophy: Philosophy of Science: Chemistry
This category in other languages:
A and B Scott Science History
- History of development of atomic theory and periodic table; links from each scientist named to primary sources and more extensive biographical material.
Atomic Structure Timeline
- Presents the history of discoveries about the structure of matter. Created by Lee Buescher, Science Department, Watertown High School, Watertown, Wisconsin.
- The Arnold and Mabel Beckman Center for the History of Chemistry has the goal of supporting basic research in the history of the chemical sciences and to sponsor events of interest to scholars and the informed public.
Case Histories of Drug Discovery
- Society for Medicines Research symposium, "Case Histories of Drug Discovery," now available online RealAudio webcast.
Chemical Heritage Foundation
- A non-profit foundation dedicated to preserving and making known the history of the chemical sciences.
Chemistry Related Antique Optical Instruments
- Provides illustrations of a collection of early optical instruments used in the chemical laboratory. The collection consist of spectroscopes, refractometers, and polarimeters. The instruments date from the late 19th to the early 20th century.
- Provides texts of several classic papers from the history of chemistry and links to related sites. Maintained by Carmen Giunta of Le Moyne College.
Detergent Chemistry: History
- A history of synthetic detergents and of the synthetic detergent industry.
Early Ideas in the History of Quantum Chemistry
- Biographies of people involved in the early ideas of quantum chemistry, including interviews with fifteen of these people.
Elemental and Molecular Heritage: An Internet-Based Display
- A heavily hyperlinked "virtual museum" showing samples (and explaining the historical value) of chemicals, compounds, or elements which were made in the lab well over 100 years ago.
History and Chemistry of Murexide Dye
- Text derived from Scheele, Prout, Liebig and Wohler.
History and Philosophy of Alchemy
- "90 megabytes online of information on alchemy in all its facets." Though alchemy is neither chemistry nor a science, it is a historical precursor to scientific chemistry as studied in schools today.
History of Chemical Engineering
- Includes an introduction to chemical engineering and a brief history of the profession.
James Cutbush: An American Chemist, 1788-1823
- Project Gutenberg includes 1919 biography by Edgar Fahs Smith in ASCII text, HTML, and ebook-reader formats.
- The history and chemistry of orcein, orchil, litmus, parelle and French purple with extensive bibliography.
National Historic Chemical Landmarks
- Key discoveries and places, compiled by the American Chemical Society.
Nobel Prizes in Chemistry
- A listing of Nobel Prize winners in chemistry from 1901 to 1999.
Othmer Library of Chemical History
- sources from the 16th century on the history of the chemical sciences and technologies.
Radioactivity: Historical Figures
- Focuses on four primary figures in the development of the understanding of nuclear structure and radioactivity, namely Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen, Antoine Henri Becquerel, Marie Sklodowska Curie, and Ernest Rutherford.
Rediscovery of the Elements
- Photo tour of the places in Europe and North America where each of the chemical elements was first discovered.
Schoenberg Center for Electronic Text and Image
- The Edgar Fahs Smith Image Collection contains over 3,000 images of scientists, laboratories, and scientific apparatus. A selection of these prints, engravings, and photographs is reproduced on this site. Photographs of any of these images may be ordered from an on-line order form.
Selected Classic Papers from the History of Chemistry
- Virtual library for the history of science, technology and medicine. Includes the full-text of more than 30 articles by authors including Priestley, Faraday, Davy, Rutherford and Thomson. Also a few historical and biographical articles, and a fairly extensive photo gallery.
Society for the History of Alchemy and Chemistry (SHAC)
- Information on how to join the Society, its activities, journal and conferences.
This Week in Chemical History
- Annotated calendar noting both the people and the events related to various dates.
" search on:
to edit this category.
Copyright © 1998-2015 AOL Inc.
Visit our sister sites
Last update: May 23, 2014 at 21:09:23 UTC -